•21 | The Compensation

AUTHOR'S POV :

The night lingered in Kunal's thoughts as he tossed and turned in bed, replaying the events with Aishwarya. He couldn't fathom where things had gone wrong. Sleep eventually claimed him, but the weight of confusion and hurt remained.

The following morning, Kunal was roused from his thoughts by the enticing scent of pizza wafting through his home. Curiosity piqued, he followed the aroma to the kitchen, only to find Aishwarya at the stove, cooking.

"What are you doing here?" Kunal asked, a mix of surprise and residual hurt in his voice.

Aishwarya turned to him, her eyes reflecting remorse. "I... I wanted to make it up to you. I know I said some terrible things last night, and I regret it deeply."

Kunal, still nursing the wounds from the previous night, remained guarded. "Apologies won't erase what happened, aishwarya. I need some time."

She nodded, understanding the gravity of her words. "I understand, Kunal. But please, hear me out. I never meant to hurt you like that."

"You don't have to, Aishwarya. You don't owe me any explanations.", Kunal looked away and took the tray from her hand.

"I do, Kunal. You deserve to know about me.", Aishwarya looked into his eyes.

"I didn't regret going with you. I donot. Nor did I regret spending time with you. Everything I said last night was just because I was anxious. And the anger took worst out of me.", Kunal looked at her, still hurt.

"I-my ex-fiance came to the party last night. It was the reason papa called me to keep me informed. I wanted to talk to you about it. But things just didn't go the way I planed. Kunal. I really am sorry." Aishwarya said, her eyes brimming with tears as her voice cracked at the end.

Kunal shook his head, scared that he might have to see her cry, "Aishwarya, I get that you were upset, but you could've told me about your ex before things escalated. I thought we shared something special, and your reaction left me genuinely hurt."

Aishwarya sighed, acknowledging the validity of his feelings. "I should have told you, Kunal. I was just overwhelmed in the moment, and I reacted poorly. I never intended to hurt you, and I'm truly sorry."

Silence hung in the air as Kunal processed her words. He could see the sincerity in Aishwarya's eyes, but the wounds of the previous night still stung.

"It's fine. I just need some time though," Kunal finally spoke, his tone a mix of vulnerability and firmness.

Aishwarya nodded, her eyes reflecting a genuine regret. "I understand, Kunal. Take the time you need. I just hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

As the weight of the conversation lingered, Kunal acknowledged her apology but made it clear that forgiveness wasn't an immediate option. Aishwarya respected his need for space and hoped that, in time, they could rebuild what had been unexpectedly fractured on that New Year's night.
.
.
.
The morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow on Kunal's living room as Aishwarya busied herself setting up the breakfast table. Kunal watched her with a sense of admiration, appreciating the effort she was making to make amends.

"So... Does this mean you don't regret what happened between us?" Kunal asked, his voice gentle yet curious.

Aishwarya, her cheeks tinged with a blush, looked up from the table and met Kunal's gaze. She shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. The sincerity in her eyes spoke volumes, dispelling any lingering doubts.

Kunal, overcome with a mix of relief and affection, pulled Aishwarya into a tight hug. He could feel her sniffing, trying hard not to cry.

Sensing that, Kunal decided to lighten her mood.