Chapter 17 (Part 1/2)

Proofread by miss_roxy_

* * * * * 

"So you can't get anything at all?"

The tone of someone who was usually calm and always diplomatic now sounded so angry that it made him uneasy. The tea in the cup in front of him was getting colder because he was in no mood to continue sipping it since he saw his son come home looking like a street dog.

"I am trying..."

"What do you get when you try it?" That sentence didn't sound like a question. It could be called criticism or an expression of disappointment. "I never cared whether you tried a lot or a little. What matters, in the end, is whether you succeeded or not?"

"I apologize."

"Almost ten years," said the host firmly, looking at his helpless son with a rarely seen expression of annoyance. "I gave you time to come out, gave you all your freedom. I let you survive for ten years because I thought you could finally do what you said."

"..."

"And look what you got in the end!!"

The sound of a slap on the table echoed throughout the office. This made the subordinates walking at the front of the room shocked, because if it wasn't for something very big, the calm master would not show such anger. Therefore, it could be assumed that the return of one of his sons today did not bring as good news as expected.

"You said you didn't want to force it. You promised me that you would make him love you. Then why are you saying now that you can't do it?!" The old man shouted loudly, while the eldest son could only lower his head and look down and take a deep breath with the feeling of wanting to disappear from here forever.

He didn't want to know anything anymore. The fact that his relationship with Babe had collapsed with no way to recover was enough to make him despair. Today, he still had to stand by and let his father scold him and treat him like a dog. He thought this would be a punishment for someone as inhuman as him. "Not only did you fail to get him to bear your child, but now... there's nothing left in you. Do you know what you've done?!"

"..."

"Didn't I tell you to be careful with Charlie? Didn't I tell you not to be complacent? Why are you still missing it?"

"I don't think he can steal anyone's advantages anymore. When I sent someone after him last time, they couldn't get the kid."

"I told you, don't be stupid!" The father shouted angrily. Although he thought he raised these children to be the smartest, none of them were as smart as those two children. Charlie and Babe are smart kids and don't think like normal people. If they could be tamed, they would get great benefits. But it was because they were so smart that it was hard to lock a kid like that in a cage. "Do you think someone like Charlie will be stupid and let you follow him so easily? Do you think he dares to fight me like this without any plan at all?"

"..."

"Charlie's not as stupid as you."

Way stood with his head bowed, not knowing what to say. His hands clenched into tight fists as he tried to resist his father's pressure and suppress the anger that emerged from those insulting words. In fact, he usually wasn't one to pay attention to such insults. No matter what his father said when scolding him, he could always let it go.

But this time was different. It was different because among the insults was the child's name. The child he had only seen once since moving into that house more than ten years ago, where he never had the chance to meet him again. But over the past ten years, he had heard his name hundreds of times from his father who would endlessly praise him.