Aven nodded. "Thank you, Zoey." Her head turning back to Jack. "You better scurry along before I kill you."

The two girls hurried into the bathroom, laughing as Zoey moved Avens hair back. "So, why are you two so secretive?"

"My dad told me I wasn't allowed to date any of them. Jack and I just kinda happened." Aven sighed. "I'm just scared that if we get caught, Jack will get the shit end of the stick."

"Hm." Zoey hummed with a nod, bringing her finger to her neck as she blended the makeup seamlessly. "That sucks. But at least you two can make it work."

Aven nodded. "Yeah, you're right. He's been overly protective and I guess he knows how teenage boys work. Jack's different."

"I'm sure he is." Zoey pulled her brows together in concentration, pressing powder against the makeup to seal it. "It's Jack Hughes. Every girl dreams of him."

"Okay, enough." Aven shook her head as the two walked out of the bathroom, following down the tunnel as she glanced up.

Aven watched as the teenage girls in the stands lean over the glass, screaming for the rookie while their phones snapping millions of photos. She laughed softly, eyeing Zoey as she raised her eyebrows towards her.

The game began, puck drop having all the fans on their feet. Nico was quick, taking the puck towards the Bruins side, the Devils passed it back and forth, searching for an open shot.

Jack passed it to Jesper who was able to shoot a backhand, the bench erupting in cheers at the first goal.

After the first quarter passed, the score was 2-1 going into the second, Devils holding a lead.

The defense slacked, letting a Bruins player go between the slot, passing it as his teammate sniped it, the buzzer blaring as the Bruins fans screamed.

Aven face fell into her hands as she sat on the edge of the bench beside Jack.

"Hey, we got this." Jack patted her back as she looked up at him.

"Yeah." She nodded with flat lips, looking at the time as it ran out, leading them into the third quarter. "Jack, I need you to play extra hard. We can't let this go into overtime."

Third quarter began, every person on the edge of their seats for the next twenty minutes as the puck was passed back and forth, bodies slamming into the boards, and the tie still unbroken.

With five minutes left of the game, Jack took the puck down center ice, his heart racing at the sound of skates all around him.

He passed the puck between his stick, watching the goalies eyes follow it. Jack lifted his stick, quick enough to shoot it and high enough that the goalie was unable to stop it.

"Yes!" Aven yelled, standing on her feet as the players hugged against the glass. "Three minutes." She looked at Zoey. "As long as they don't score we're fine."

Time eventually ran out, leaving the Bruins with a home loss as they began to pile out of their own arena with sad looks and heads down.

"Nico..." Aven laughed, slapping his shoulder gently as they walked into the locker room. "You're insane."

Nico blushed with a small nod. "You're sweet, Aven."

"Yeah, super sweet." Jack muttered as he slid past her, glancing at her with a small smile on his lips.

Aven rolled her eyes as she watched the boys pack up, smiling brightly after their well-deserved win.

The bus ride back to the hotel was nothing but loud, Avens arms over her chest as Jacks hand rested on her knee, his thumb grazing her cold skin.

"Ladies first." Jack stepped aside, allowing her off the bus first after the short ride.

She nodded with a scoff. "What a gentleman. I must report this back to Ellen." Jack shrugged nonchalantly. "I'm a good guy. I hold doors for ladies."

Aven cocked a brow at him as they walked through the hotel. "Sorry...ladies? As in, other woman?"

"Oh, stop." Jack groaned, pressing the up button as the elevator doors opened, them closing seconds after. "You're one only lady I care about."

Aven shook her head with a grin, shoving him gently into the wall of the elevator as it dinged, bringing them onto the floor.

Jack hummed as he unlocked the door, shutting it behind her.

She glanced down at the table, the plastic bag catching her eye. "Hey, what's this?" She asked, turning to look at him over her shoulder.

"Boston crème pie." Jack chuckled, hugging her tightly as her back pressed against his chest. "I managed to call the hotel and wrangle one up here before we did. It's a good thing we won."

Aven scrunched her nose up as she took the pie from the wrapping, the familiar smell making her head fall back against his shoulder. "You have no flaws, Hughes."

He kissed her cheek softly before grabbing the pie, nodding his head towards their balcony.

The view overlooked the beauty of the Boston lights, busy streets, and tall buildings. Aven brought the pie to her lips as she stared out to the sky.

"My mom used to drag me to Cape Cod every summer. I think that's where I'll end up someday. It's so beautiful here." Aven reminisced, pulling the fork from her mouth.

"I've never been." Jack stared at her. "Where you go, I'll go."

Aven turned her head towards him with a soft smile, bringing her lips to his to taste the vanilla custard lingering on his tongue. "Yes, Jack."

babiessss
thank you for 5k reads 🥹🥹