Chapter 6

WHAT

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

That's the only thing I am thinking right now, after seeing the scene in front of me.

After having lunch, which was paid for by Ro, we left the restaurant and I asked him to take me where he wanted to and I skipped the grocery shopping. The pathetic excuse was that buying groceries right now is not important and I have enough groceries. I just wanted to buy the groceries because today there was not much work in the cafe and I was free.

I lied. 

Well, I don't want to gain his pity or sympathy because I don't have six figures in my bank account. Also, I don't have much money with me right now, the groceries I have back at my apartment is enough for at least 5 days. Right now I have to pay the bills, which is more important. sustaining a roof above my head. I don't want to be homeless again after all.

So, right now here we are, in a car showroom. A fucking car showroom. With a white BMW in front of me, that is supposed to be mine. 

"Why did you bring me here" I asked right after stepping down from his car and looking at the building in front of me

"to buy a car darling," he said

I looked at him confused, what does that have to do with me? I think he understood my question because the next sentence made me widen my eyes like saucers.

"to buy a car for you," he said looking straight ahead as he signals someone and nods at them.

Now I am standing in front of the car, looking at it like it's some sort of an alien. Too shocked to do something else. I just told him I don't have a car because I can't afford it. Is he mocking me that he has money and can buy expensive cars with the snap of a finger? Is he showing me that he has money and I don't? 

"Look at you, can't do anything for your pathetic, weak self."

"Why didn't you eat food, Mommy and Daddy didn't give you money to buy it?"

"Fucking charity cases, all of you. Unwanted bastards."

The flashbacks of those voices echo in my mind. 

Is Roman trying to do the same? 

The thought infuriates me.

"Roman, I won't accept this," I say looking straight into his eyes. 

I might not be a billionaire like him and I might work around the clock to live but I am not a beggar and I don't need anyone's pity for sure.

I wasn't a beggar then when I had no place to go and no money, I sure as hell am not one now.

He pauses whatever conversation he is having with the manager and turns to me, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Why?" he questions, and asks the manager to excuse us.

"Why? I am not a charity case Roman, I don't want you to pity me and do things for me. Just because I told you I don't have a car, you don't need to throw it at my face and make me feel like a-a" My throat closes up. beggar I wanted to say, but couldn't. Because I am not.

His eyes soften, and he pulls me to him and hugs me. His hand is on my waist while the other is on my head and rests on his chest. He keeps hugging me but I don't reciprocate and after a minute or so, he pulls back and looks into my eyes.

"I am not thinking of you as a charity case or being pitiful towards you. Last night when I saw you walking home and those bastards behind you, to harm you. I thought that if you weren't walking and had a car, you wouldn't be in that situation again."

"I am gifting this car to you as a friend so that you don't get in danger while walking home late at night. I don't feel any pity for you, I am only concerned."

He pauses before continuing

"I know we don't know each other much, right now, but last night when I saw you in danger, I just wanted for you to be safe, and maybe gifting this car to you will make me feel better that you got home safe and sound, without any creep trying to hurt you in any way."

"I don't think you need pity darling, because one thing I admire about you is, you work so hard, You don't need anyone to make you feel secure and help you. You work on your own, you work one job from another, and I think that's truly admirable. Because I could never in my wildest dreams think of doing something like that, I would probably be sick the next day because of so much running around, and walking to and fro"

"so no, this is just a gift that I am giving my incredible friend who deserves to have it"

I just look at him dumbfounded, the way he removed all the questions clouding my mind. I don't know what to tell him now.

"So, will you accept this gift from me now?"

I nod. 

"but," I say before he calls the manager again "this is too expensive, just something cheap, I don't need a freaking BMW," I say, waving my hand dramatically.

he smiles and says "Cute" then asks the manager to get the papers ready for the car, and I stare at him with narrowed eyes.

"But it's supposed to be for me, shouldn't I get a say in it?" I say childishly

"And this is supposed to be a gift from me," he says "I will gift what I want to," he says while narrowing his eyes just like mine.

He looks funny.

"fine," I say dragging the 'e' to make it look dramatic.

He grins and takes my hand in his again, and kisses the back of it and I get butterflies, while he starts to walk towards the car. One thing I do know is I don't want to know the price of it, or I would surely get a heart attack.

"How are you so sure that I know how to drive a car"

He stops and looks at me, while I suppress my smile and keep a neutral face

"You don't? well I can teach you, it's not a big deal so.." he just shrugs

"No, no. I do, I do know how to drive a car. The family I used to work for, before I came to New York, the owner taught me how to drive the car so that I could do the groceries and sometimes pick the kids from school" I say, smiling, as I remember the beautiful family and their 4 and 7 old kids.

He also smiles and says "Well then, they will just tell you the basic things about the car and I guess you are ready to go then" as we near it.

Well, it's a good car.

my first ever gift.

~~~

word count- 1167

OKAY, I AM SORRY. I have been busy with some stuff.

and I know the chapter is short but I will write a bigger chapter next time.

also, the next chapter will have some time gap, not much but yeah, there isn't much of a story here, so it will be a gap.

I hope you like it.

please comment, vote, and if you want share.

I would like it if you comment even on the paragraphs, the response would mean the world to me.

5 votes and comments for the next chapter. :)