Chapter 17 - Moon 11

Start from the beginning

"We have been hunting poorly." His words sent a ripple of shock through the cats; Ivypaw had never heard a leader admit that before, "we need more land. On of our apprentices, Earthpaw, has died from his battle wounds."

Ivypaw glanced towards Earthpaw's brother, Granitepaw, who looked down at his paws. She felt a stab of pity for the tom, but then quickly pushed it away.

"We need more land," Boulderstar repeated, his eyes landing on Acornstar.

Acornstar stiffened. "More land won't fix your Clan's incompetence, Boulderstar. It's not the size of the territory that matters; it's the skill and unity of the cats within it." She leaned closer, snarling, "maybe you should stop focusing on killing our cats and start trying to actually train your cats to hunt, you wouldn't have this problem."

Boulderstar hissed, his claws sliding out.

"Yeah?" Acornstar sat back, looking relaxed, "are you going to murder me like you did our kits? Don't forget, Boulderstar: I have 8 lives to lose. You have one."

The Clans broke out in yowls of support and outrage, while Ivypaw could do nothing but stare up at her leader with respect and awe.

"We have no news to report. The gathering is dismissed." Acornstar leapt down from the rock, her cats joining her smoothly.

Ivypaw padded next to Snowpaw, head held high. She was unafraid.

○○○

"We must prepare for another battle." Acornstar addressed her clan as soon as they got back from the gathering, "and we need new warriors." her amber eyes fell on Morningkit and Daykit, who looked up in alarm. The two kits, especially obvious in Morningkit, had been quiet and sorrowful ever since ether brother's death.

"Morningkit, step forward." Sunshine tried to rapidly clean the little she-cat's ears as she stepped up to the stump.

"Morningkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Morningpaw. Your mentor will be Riverflower. I hope Riverflower will pass down all she knows on to you."

Ivypaw glanced over to her mother in surprise. Riverflower looked equally shocked, but she stepped up to the stump without hesitation. Ivypaw wondered if her mother had ever taken on an apprentice before.

"Riverflower, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Snarltooth, and you have shown yourself to be loyal and brave. You will be the mentor of Morningpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Morningpaw."

The two she-cats touched noses before stepping to the side.

"Daykit, step forward."

The small tomcat trembled, padding up to stand next his sister.

"Daykit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Daypaw. Your mentor will be Runningmouse. I hope Runningmouse will pass down all she knows on to you."

Ivypaw swung her head over to look at Runningmouse. She didn't quite consider him a friend, but she liked the tom, and was glad he would get to mentor the shy little kit.

"Runningmouse, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Slatefur, and you have shown yourself to be intelligent and thoughtul. You will be the mentor of Daypaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Daypaw."

The two toms touched noses, then the clan broke out in a chant.

"Daypaw, Morningpaw! Daypaw, Morningpaw! Daypaw, Morningpaw!"

The two apprentices showed the most emotion they had in days, puffing up with pride. Ivypaw turned to look at their mother, who's eyes were laced with sorrow. Ivypaw knew she was picturing Nightkit standing next to his siblings, the clan cheering his name.

This is Sunshine, mother to Morningpaw, Daypaw and Nightkit as well mate to Blackstripe.

❤️Don't forget to vote or comment if you like the chapter! Thanks, I love you all!! 😘