59

* * *
1 Month Later

Nia
7:32 A.M.
Houston

"Jem, how are you?" I asked over the phone. "I'm good. We have a group project presentation for our 3d models today," he said. "That's great. Send it to me so I can see it later," I smiled.

"I will," he smiled. "Bug here yet?" he asked. "No, but I have an appointment later this week. Trust me if bug was here, you would be the first to know," I told him. Michael walked in a few minutes later, ready to head to the diner.

"Hey princess, who are you on the phone with?" Michael said. "Jem," I smiled. "What's up Jem? How's the art coming?" Michael asked, jumping into the bed next to me.

"Good, good. We just finished our 3d art," Jem repeated. "That's good, show us later please," Michael said. "I'm gonna send it to Nia later," he said.

"Alright, we miss you," Michael said. "Yeah I miss you guys too. I'll be back soon," Jem replied.

* * *

11:21 A.M.
Houston

"Hey Mrs. Jordan," the doctor said. Michael and I were now at the doctor checking on baby and doing our last ultrasound.

"Hello Doc, how are you?" I asked. "Great, and you?" she asked. "Good, thanks for asking," I nodded.

She touched my stomach a few times before starting to pour cold gel on my stomach. "So baby seems to be in the right position, a little lower than I'd like him to be for thirty four weeks, but besides that looking good so far," she said.

"That's good," I smiled. She started to move the probe around my belly before we found baby boy. "He's peaceful right now, got his arms and legs crossed. Good, good," she said. I looked at Michael who was already looking at me and smiling.

The doctor took the probe off of my stomach shortly after. "Alright, well I want you to start coming every week when you hit the 36 week mark in just two weeks. Any questions or concerns?" she explained.

"No, but thank you," I smiled. "No problem, have a great day," she said. "You too," I said as she walked out.

* * *

Michael
7:41 P.M.
Houston

I decided to take Nia out one final time before baby comes. The coming weeks would consist of me trying to get things situated at the restaurant so I could take some time off to help Nia when baby gets here.

We were at a nice spa getting a couples massage. Nia's been stressed lately with the baby and getting ready. She finally turned in her album, so that has lifted some stress off of her. It's a lot for us both right now trying to adjust to expanding our family, but we have been getting through it.

Without Jeremiah it has just been a very quiet and confusing time.

Before the massage, we sat in the sauna and just talked. "Nia, I think you should talk to your mom about coming and helping you out," I suggested. She looked at me, "I don't know, I feel like she might be overwhelmed coming here," she said. "You know she loves you," I said.

Just then, Nia picked up her phone and called her mom. Her mom picked up almost instantly. "Hey mom," she said. They talked for a while before Nia asked.

"Mom, could you come and help me when the baby comes?" she asked. I don't know what Halle said, but a few short moments later Nia was crying. I quickly slid over and rubbed her back.

Not too long after she was off the phone. "What did she say? Are you okay?" I asked quickly. Nia put her head in her hands before wiping her tears. "She said she thought I would never ask and she'll come," Nia said.

"Does that help you feel better?" I asked. She nodded. A few short moments later we headed in for our massage. Our last time relaxing before becoming parents.

* * *
Two Weeks Later

Nia
9:23 A.M.
Houston

I opened the door as I saw the Uber pull up. I could not wait, my mom was finally here. She climbed out and grabbed her bag before running up to my door.

"Mom!" I smiled. She pulled me into a hug that did not last long because of my growing bump. She pulled back and looked at my bump.

"Wow, look at him and look at you, you're glowing," she cupped her hands around my face. "Thank you," I smiled.

"Come in mom, get comfortable," I held the door open. She quickly came in.

I walked her over to the guest room. "Get settled, I'm just going to get a snack," I said. She nodded before I walked off and went to the kitchen. I quickly got some Doritos and ranch, and started to snack.

"When's Jeremiah home?" my mom asked as she slipped into the kitchen. "Oh, he's still at his art program in California so not for another three weeks," I told her. "Oh okay, so very close to baby time," my mom said.

"Yes, I want him to be here, but I am trying to grasp the fact that he might not be," I explained. My mom leaned against the counter. "You want him to be involved in baby stuff?" she asked.

I took a quick bite of a Dorito. "No, not like that. I just don't want him to be left out. We got him assimilated to the life of a family of three and I want him to easily integrate when the baby gets here," I explained. "He will do fine either way Nia, don't you worry," she smiled.

"I guess so," I sighed. My mom took my free hand, "Sit down, please," she said. We walked over to the dining table and sat down. "What's the agenda for today?" she asked.

"Go to my appointment then talk to my midwife,"I told her. She nodded, "Alright, what time is your appointment?" she asked. "At noon," I said.

"Is Michael meeting us there?" she asked. "In about an hour he should be home from the restaurant to take us to both appointments," I told her.

And so, an hour later there Michael was ready to take us to my appointments.

We went back to the doctor first. After feeling my stomach and telling me baby was alright we talked. "Okay, so Nia I can to do a cervix check. You are pretty early on so I do not have to, but it's just to see if you are ready at all. I'll have to use two fingers and some gel which may be a little uncomfortable, but the exam should only last about two minutes," she explained.

"Okay, I'll do it," I nodded. I laid down and the doctor did the exam. I felt a little awkward with my mom in the room but shook it off. "Well, good news. Baby is going to cook a little longer, it's up to you but I can check again next week when you come in," she explained.

"Okay, good. Thanks doc," I smiled.