35

Nia
8:22 A.M.
Adoption Agency

"Do you have a record Mrs. Jordan?" the man asked. "No," I replied. "I see that Mr. Taylor, your dad, has filled out the letter of reference that you needed," he said. "Yes," I replied. "What are your source or sources of income?" he asked. "I am a singer, so a freelance musician. I make money through doing shows," I said. "Do you have proof of income?" he asked.

"I have bank statements?" I offered. "Alright," he said. I handed the man the bank statements and he inspected them for a few minutes before turning to me and nodding. "You seem to be doing well in your trainings, so six weeks left. And we will be coming at the end of your trainings to complete a study of the residence in which both you and your husband reside," he explained. "Thank you," we stood up. I shook his hand before leaving.

* * *

5:43 P.M.
Michael's Apartment

"Are you okay?" I gave Michael a kiss. I sat on his lap and faced him as he zoned out. "Huh? Sorry yeah I'm fine," he said. "Did anything happen at the meeting with your dad?" I asked him. "Why?" he asked. "I don't know, you have been weird since then," I told him.

I brushed an eyelash off his cheek. "I'm not ready to talk yet," he said. "That's fine, but I'm here when you are," I told him. "Why don't we do something different?" Michael asked. "Okay, what did you have in mind?" I asked him. "Let's make this a surprise. Order takeout from your favorite place, use my card and meet me in the car in fifteen minutes," he said.

"Uh, alright?" I asked. I ordered takeout from a nice Italian restaurant near us. I put on a hoodie and some sweatpants before looking around the house for Michael.

Michael💙: I'm in the car.

Me: coming

I locked the door and left the apartment before getting into Michael's car. "So, where did you order from?" he asked. "I ordered from Mario's," I replied. "Good choice," he smiled. We went up to Mario's and picked up our food. "Can you tell me what the surprise is yet?" I asked Michael. He shook his head and put his hand on my thigh.

He turned on some Hiatus Kaiyote and we started to jam out in the car. The drive was about 45 minutes. He backed into a spot near the beach. He eventually got out the car, took the food, opened the trunk, and out the food in there.

"Come here," he motioned for me to sit next to him. I went to the trunk to see a duvet cover and two pillows and our food set up. "Aww, wait this is what you had planned?" I asked him. "Yes, please lay down with me," Michael said. "Okay," I laid next to him. We both started to eat and share the food and drinks from Mario's while watching the beautiful sunset.

"The view is amazing," Michael said. "It really is," I smiled. "I was talking about you," Michael laughed. I blushed, "You are way too nice, I look bummy today," I told him. "You could look like a shark and I would still wake up every morning and kiss you and tell you you are beautiful," he told me. "Really?" I asked him. "Of course," Michael said.

I gave him a quick kiss, but then he pulled me back for another long kiss. "We're making the right decision, right? With the house?" Michael asked. "Let's see," I told him.

* * *

9:32 P.M.
His Apartment

"I gotta go," I told Michael. "But why go when you could be curled up in my arms right now?" he asked me. "Because I haven't checked on my apartment all week," I gave him a quick peck before getting up. "I'll be back tomorrow, okay? I love you," I asked.