Chapter Twelve

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

Death

"No!" I roared as Asmodeus disappeared with Leviathan. My reaper form took over completely, my scream so loud, my home began to crumble.

My boy was gone. Asmodeus was fucking gone. He went with Leviathan.

I'd felt him panicking. I'd rushed out of the shower, only to find him already on the run. And I hadn't fucking gotten to him in time.

Death! Luc shouted in my mind. Death, baby, please! What's going on? What you're feeling is agonizing.

He's gone. And fuck, I couldn't cope. I needed my boy, and he was gone. He'd willingly left me. It was like a hole was ripped right through my chest where my heart was supposed to be. He left with Leviathan. Willingly. And I can't track them.

Beelzebub appeared in front of me, his Hell form just as large as my reaper. His blood-red wings fluttered agitatedly, his horns curling over his skull. Fire licked at his skin, and his charred, black heart was being crushed by the ribbon that signified his bond with Asmodeus. It was tightening with every sluggish beat, threatening to rip Beelzebub's charred heart right in half.

"We need Cassian," Lucifer said, appearing beside us. His other form had come out to play as well, and agony rested in his eyes. I knew he could feel what we all felt—he felt everything deeply no matter what. But I had no way of turning my shit off.

Asmodeus had bonded every single one of us together, and we needed him back home. I had no idea why he would run instead of coming to me, but when I got him back home with me where he belonged, I'd make sure he knew he had no more reasons to leave me behind again.

I had every intention of being selfish with him after this. Because I couldn't go through this a second time.

Lucifer's black wings spread out before coming back in to drape down his back. A few fluttered off and fell softly to the cracked and broken stone flooring beneath our feet. His red irises glowed. But unlike his husband, Lucifer was still beautiful in his other form.

No matter how hard the Creator had tried, They couldn't turn Lucifer ugly. Not when the blood of angels ran through his veins.

Closing my eyes, I let my body rip apart atom by atom until I could reform in Asmodeus's realm. Demons screeched at my arrival, and Cassian rushed out of the castle, his red face paling a shade when his eyes landed on me.

"My Lord," he murmured, bowing before me.

"Up," I growled. "Asmodeus has been taken. I need your best trackers. I know Leviathan has him; I just don't know where."

Cassian frowned, worry widening his black eyes. "We weren't able to find him last—"

"Because Leviathan has his scent covered," I snarled, growing impatient. Lucifer gripped my cracked, blue arm, grounding me. I blew out a harsh breath, relaxing my hands I hadn't even known I'd fisted. "But we can track Leviathan."

"Do you have something he can be tracked with?" Cassian asked, doing something weird with his hands.

"Yes," Lucifer answered for me, stepping forward as shadow demons emerged out of the ground to stand next to Cassian. Their hunched-over forms were see-through and flickered occasionally, making them disappear for a moment. Their arms drug the ground, multiple eyes staring back at me. "You can track him by my blood. We are brothers."

"Luc—"

"No," Luc snapped at Beelzebub. "I know you're worried, but this is the only way, Bee."

"Your demons better not attack him," I snarled at Cassian.

He shook his head. "They won't. They're better trained than that."

Beelzebub was tense next to me, his flames hissing against my skin as he pressed our shoulders together. Luc cut his palm with his talon, and Beelzebub growled next to me as each shadow demon licked his palm before disappearing.

"One will come back to you when they've located him," Cassian told me. "It should not take long."

I began pacing, unable to sit still. My wings dragged the ground behind me. Every breath I took sounded like a growl was threatening to burst from my chest.

I couldn't feel Asmodeus; I could only feel his loss. I was unraveling without him.

"I'm losing my fucking mind," I finally snapped, turning to face Beelzebub.

Beelzebub nodded, his arm wrapped around Lucifer, his talons digging into his husband's skin. "We can feel it," he quietly told me.

I resumed pacing, unable to be still for long, especially since I had to wait.

And hope I wasn't called to take his soul before Asmodeus's shadow demons found him.

~*~*~

Cassian waited with us, watching me pace as he stood stock still, barely even breathing. Lucifer's pain was only growing as mine grew, and Beelzebub was doing his best to keep his husband centered.

I had no one to center me. And at this point, even if Lucifer or Beelzebub tried, I'd probably go fucking ballistic on them.

I needed Asmodeus.

A shadow demon slid out of the ground like smoke before staring at Cassian. Cassian looked at me. "They've found him. In a white room in Leviathan's—"

"I know where that is," I rumbled. I looked at the demon. "Take us to him."

Slouched over, he walked to us. As soon as he touched me, the world fell out from beneath my feet. Suffocating darkness gripped me, and just when I was sure I was going to die from lack of oxygen, I rose out of the floor of the white room, solidifying back into my reaper form.

"Death..." Asmodeus croaked, shakily lifting his head to look at me. He was covered in blood, his limbs broken and twisted into awkward angles. Agony coated his features.

I fucking roared. Lucifer appeared beside me just as Leviathan stepped into the room. He snarled at me, baring his teeth as he shifted into his other form.

"Please," Asmodeus sobbed.

"Not now, baby," Lucifer soothed, going over to him. I moved quickly, my wings spread out behind me to shield the two of them. "I'm taking you home."

Beelzebub appeared next to me, his snarl bouncing off the walls. "His people are coming."

I smirked just as the temperature dropped so low, ice formed on the walls. "Let them."

The door to the room burst open, and chaos ensued. Leviathan rushed at me just as Lucifer and Asmodeus disappeared from the room. I chuckled and wrapped my hand around his throat, halting him. He choked, his talons scraping against my wrist, but he couldn't do anything to me. Not when I was fully shifted.

I was the one immortal being that was impossible to kill except by the Creator themselves.

"I can't wait to see where Beelzebub and Lucifer toss your worthless ass," I taunted. And then, my talons tore through his throat, beheading him. And just to make sure no one could bring him back...

I reaped his fucking soul.