Chapter Four

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

Beelzebub

Death was silent. Which was sort of ironic considering he was a Grim Reaper and most humans thought death brought about silence.

But Death was never actually silent. He was unreachable. No one had heard from him all day, and that wasn't like him, especially since Asmodeus had gone missing. He was normally growly, his mood having been volatile since the Prince of Demons had been MIA.

It was alarming that he was so silent.

His gothic-style home loomed in front of me, and I tilted my head to the side. He was inside; I could sense him. Which was another abnormal thing as of late. Death was rarely home. He liked to spend his time prowling Hell and watching souls be tortured to pass the time.

Did you find him? Lucifer asked, using our connection to speak with me.

I hummed. Sure did. He's at home. And I'm about to find out what the fuck is going on.

Lucifer stayed silent, though I could feel his presence in my mind. Then, he was gone, back to sorting through damned souls and sending them where they belonged. Our work had picked up since Asmodeus had gone missing. With the Prince of Demons, we'd been able to just send the damned souls on their way, and let the demons deal with them, but now with the demons in uproar and chaos ensuing from Asmodeus's disappearance, it was up to us to get it all taken care of.

I reached out with my mind, searching the mansion for where Death's presence was the strongest, and... bingo. He was in his room. I appeared there a moment later, a smirk tilting my lips when I saw Death's wings wrapped around a body, shielding them in a way.

"No wonder you went quiet," I said when Death simply arched a brow at me. "You found a new play thing. Replacing us so easily?" I teased.

Death shook his head. "You know I could never replace you two," he told me. Then, he shifted his right wing just enough that I could see—

Holy fuck.

"Asmodeus," I breathed. My eyes widened in horror at the sight of the man clinging to Death's leg, his eyes shut, sleeping peacefully despite his kneeling position. Death shifted his wing back into place, blocking the prince from my view.

"I heard him calling for me," Death said quietly. "He was begging me to take his soul so the suffering would end."

"Where was he?" I growled. My claws elongated, my body threatening to shift, but I held it back. Lucifer soothed me through our link, and my claws retracted. I blew out a soft breath, thankful for my husband.

"Leviathan had him," Death told me, anger clear in his words. "He ripped Asmodeus's wings out of his back. They were laying beside him." I snarled. "Beat the fuck out of him, too. I imagine that's where he's been the entire time."

Protectiveness for the prince slid through my veins. "He'll fucking pay for this," I growled as I prowled forward. I stopped about a foot away, looking to Death for permission to get closer to Asmodeus. I could feel Lucifer in my mind.

I'll explain everything in a bit, my love, I assured him.

Lucifer grunted before slipping back out, focusing back on his task. When Death nodded once at me, I crouched. He moved his wings aside. Asmodeus shivered before opening his eyes.

Looking right at me.

They widened in fear. A choked sound ripped from his throat, and he scrambled backward, his claws ripping through his fingers and shredding Death's pant leg. Black blood quickly stained Death's pants.

"Easy, baby," Death soothed, his fingers carding through Asmodeus's hair. His form was rippling, rapidly changing back and forth between his reaper and his more human form. "Beelzebub isn't here to hurt you." Death looked at me. "I'll kill anyone who even tries to harm you."

Power flowed from his words, and the room grew colder at the promise. I shivered, my heat not able to combat the icy feeling wrapping around me. I nodded once at Death, showing him I understood.

Death and Asmodeus had formed a bond. Right now, it was one formed from trauma, but it was a bond nonetheless, and his reaper had latched onto the prince like a leech. They were fated. The Creator wouldn't have brought them together like this otherwise.

Asmodeus trembled, his claws tearing deeper into Death's leg. I swallowed thickly. "I'm not here to hurt you," I promise him. "We've been searching for you for weeks now, Asmodeus." A small smile tilted my lips. "Welcome home, Prince."

Asmodeus's eyes flickered to those of his demon, and an anguished moan ripped from his throat. The sound was so full of pain, it sent chills down my spine. Death leaned over him and pressed his lips to the very top of Asmodeus's forehead. Asmodeus relaxed, his eyes shutting before he leaned back against Death's thigh, his claws retracting. Death's wings surrounded the prince again before he looked up across at me.

"His mind is..." Death's voice trailed off, his eyes flashing to an icy blue. "I'm working on it," he finally said.

"That bad?" I rasped, standing to my feet.

Death just nodded. My fingers twitched with the urge to curl Asmodeus into my arms and hold him, which was surprising. I already had my other, my soul mate. But the same feelings I had for Lucifer were rising in me for Asmodeus.

"Leviathan has to pay," I growled as I stood to my full height.

Death nodded once. "I will gladly help, but not until Asmodeus's mind is well."

I nodded once. "I need to talk to Lucifer."

Death sighed and leaned back in his chair, getting comfortable. "You feel it, too?"

I nodded. "Yeah." I scrubbed my hand down my face. "I have no idea what game the Creator is playing at, but I feel it deep in my bones. Asmodeus is mine, too."

Death hummed. "At least you don't feel it as deeply as I do," he said quietly. He glanced down where Asmodeus was hidden, wrapped safe in the cocoon of Death's blue wings. "My reaper is barely under control."

I walked over and gripped Death's chin, pulling his lips up so I could taste them. "Take care of him," I murmured. "I'll fill Lucifer in."

Death nodded and stroked my side before his hand clamped onto my hip. "Don't let Luc get in his head. He's still your number one. I can take care of Asmodeus and make him my priority."

I stroked my fingers across Death's cheek. He was always so good, and even though he tried to hide it, I knew he cared deeply for my other half.

"I'll take care of him," I promised.

Then, I was gone, vanishing from the room as if I'd never been there.