Chapter Seven

This has not been edited or proofread.

Lucifer

"I don't want to intrude on them," I told Beelzebub. "Especially if they're bonding."

My mate squeezed my hand and moved to stand in front of me. He cupped my cheek, stroking his thumb over my stubble-covered jaw. "Death won't mind," he assured me. "You know the soft spot he has for both of us, but especially for you, Luc."

I sighed. "Okay. If you insist."

We walked into the gothic home, our steps echoing on the stone floors, bouncing off the dark walls. The home lacked warmth; it was just as cold as Death's reaper form, and I shivered, even my heat from being the Prince of Hell not enough to keep me warm.

"It's not normally this cold," I murmured.

Beelzebub nodded in agreement. "I believe it's because his reaper form has been partially out since he rescued Asmodeus. He's in protection mode, and it's chilling the castle."

I frowned, worry for Death settling deep in my bones. He hated releasing his reaper form—said it made him uncontrollable. He'd been at war with it for the past two months, ever since Asmodeus had gone missing.

Had his reaper known all along that he was fated to mate with Asmodeus?

Beelzebub pushed open the door to Death's personal quarters, and we strode through until we reached his bedroom. He was sitting in a chair, his wings fluttered out beside him. His eyes were ice blue as they latched onto me.

"No," Asmodeus murmured.

I jerked my eyes to him. His eyes were full of horror and pain as he stared at me, and suddenly I remembered. And immediately, I felt awful for coming here. For standing in front of him.

I looked like my brother.

I looked like Leviathan. Same long blonde hair. Same slim build. Same dark eyes. Same fucking bone structure.

I swallowed thickly. "I'm not him," I rasped. I curled my hand into a fist, suddenly hating that I was related to that sick fuck. "I swear, I'm nothing like him."

Asmodeus's talons tore through his fingertips and slid through Death's leg. Death didn't even flinch. Didn't even blink. He just curled his wings around Asmodeus and looked down at him. "It's okay," Death murmured as the stench of his blood met my nostrils. "Luc won't hurt you, baby."

Asmodeus moved Death's wing aside, his talons back in his fingertips. He peered at me, and my soul raged at the sadness lingering in his eyes. Beelzebub gently squeezed my hand before he dropped it, and on slow, unsure feet, I made my way to Asmodeus. When I sat in front of him, he leaned further back against Death, but he didn't take his eyes off of me.

Leviathan, what the fuck have you done to him? I snarled in my mind, rage and hatred twisting around my heart.

Asmodeus was once one of the most feared men in Hell's world. The Prince of Demons had an army standing at his back, ready to do his bidding. And now, his realm was in chaos, and he was seeking safety and security with the man who brought death upon the world.

I fingered my blonde hair before turning my head and locking eyes with my husband. "Beelzebub, find scissors." I released my hair and folded my hands together in my lap. "I want to cut my hair."

Death growled. "No."

I looked at him. It was the first time he'd ever voiced something like that to me. He was firm on keeping his distance except to fuck me and Beelzebub. My heart skipped a beat in my chest. I'd known all along he wasn't wholly a cold, heartless bastard.