Chapter 16 - Moon 10

Start from the beginning

"Get off of her!" a tom leapt forward, knocking Ivypaw to the ground.

"Rockwhisker, I can handle this," Quartzpaw hissed.

Ivypaw got to her paws, winded.

"Clearly you can't." The older tom hissed back, before leaping at Ivypaw once again.

Ivypaw attempted to dodge,but the tom was too quick. His large paws pinned her down securely. "I'll teach you never to mess with my daughter," he snarled.

Ivypaw struggled, trying to bite and scratch him. Rockwhisker lifted one meaty paw, shoving Ivypaw's face to the side, exposing her vulnerable neck. Ivypaw began to panic, twisting and turning as the tom drew closer.

Then the tom was pushed off of her. Ivypaw tried to get back on her paws, coughing. Runningmouse had the tom pinned. Although he was smaller, he seemed to anticipate every move from the large tom.

"You would hurt your own kin?" the tom croaked.

Ivypaw didn't have time to listen to Runningmouse's answer, instead leaping up to intercept Quartzpaw from attacking her clanmate. She raised her paw to slash the enemy apprentice when a yowl echoed across the battle. "Falling Rock, retreat! Boulderstar has lost a life!"

Quartzpaw spat at Ivypaw before turning tail to flee after her clanmates. Ivypaw's legs shook, then collapsed under her. She lay, finally letting her unsealed body relax. The pain she hadn't felt during the battle rushed in all at once, and her fur felt like it was on fire.

"Are you okay?" Runningmouse's hazy figure appeared above her, "don't fall asleep just yet, okay?"

Ivypaw nodded, trying to keep her eyes open. But if only she could close them, the pain would disappear.

Runningmouse leaned down, nudging her into a sitting position. "Hey, don't die, okay? I'm going to go get Dreamwalker."

Ivypaw shook the tiredness out of her eyes. She was fine. She had to be fine. "I won't."

Runningmouse turned and ran towards the camp entrance. Ivypaw watched him go, respect for him building inside her. He had been through the same battle as everyone else, yet while his clanmates struggled to stand, he took action.

A frantic Larktail stumbled out of the Nursery, looking frantic. "Where's my kits?"

Ivypaw stood up, taking a deep breath. She was fine. "I let Forestkit out of the Medicine Cat den, I haven't seen Goldkit."

Branchfall, who was right behind his mate, stepped forward, "Whay do you mean you don't know where Goldkit is?? I saw you can Forestkit out, and when I went back to get Goldkit she was gone, so I assumed you took her." His voice cracked with fear. Ivypaw had never seen the calm tomcat so agitated.

"I only had the chance to grab Forestkit." Ivypaw turned towards the Medicine Cat den "I'll go get him!"

She half ran and half hobbled into the den, finding Birchpaw scrambling to find herbs. She passed him without wasting a second l, squeezing through the small exit. "Forestkit!" She called.

"Over here!" Morningkit and Daykit crawled out of a bush, carrying the tiny Forestkit with them. "Branchfall said we had to stay here and be really quiet," Morningkit meowed.

"Where's Goldkit?"

Morningkit blinked in confusion, "Goldkit was never out here with us."

"Oh great Rising Star please," Ivypaw prayed. Where was the little kit? She couldn't even walk!

"Have you seen Nightkit?" Daykit asked worriedly.

Ivypaw froze, her mind rushing back to the battle. Nightkit had wanted to help. The pieces began to fall together. Nightkit had tried to take Goldkit to safety. But there was no way the two kits had made it though the battle unharmed. "You three - go back in the camp."