9 - An Eye For An Eye.

Start from the beginning

Last night at Frankie's, I saw something quite touching. The deep affection she showed towards her brother was quite endearing. I was awed at how she bravely sprinted towards the gunfire, without any hesitation, risking herself to protect Noah. It showed her profound love for him in a way that made my admiration for her swell even further.

"Ronan, hey, how's it going?" I said into the phone, trying to sound casual despite the gravity of the situation.

"Everything's fine. I've just been worried about you all! Been trying to reach Conor for a while now, with no success. Are things alright over there?" His concern was evident.

Ronan had been away in Italy for more than a week, oblivious to the frightening incident from the night before. Judging by the fact that Conor hadn't answered his calls, I assumed he didn't want to stress him out. I chose to respect that and decided keep it that way.

"Yeah, it's all good. Everything's okay, no need to worry," I said with a false air of assurance. "When will you be back?"

"Actually, Conor's meeting me here tomorrow, which is why I was trying to contact him. Anyway, do let me know if there's anything you need. See you soon." he said, ending the call.

Even though I knew Ronan would be mad at me for keeping him in the dark, I had to do it. With him so far away, he would've been helpless and there was no reason to cause him unnecessary worry.

I had hardly managed to catch any sleep last night; the haunting image of Frankie crying in my arms seemed to take over my thoughts. There was a part of me that yearned to stay with her, despite not being certain if she needed me to, yet I couldn't manage to suppress this urge.

Leaving the house, I decided to swing by Frankie's place to check on her and Noah, feeling compelled by an overwhelming urge to make sure she was okay.

──●◎●──

"Hector Pierce, here to see Ms. Monroe," I announced, introducing myself to the new men standing guard at the gate.

I was grateful to see the dozen or so guards standing by, as it made me feel more reassured knowing Conor was looking out for the safety of Frankie and her family.

The guards acknowledged my arrival and directed me into the house. Two of them flanked me as we made our way inside.

Greeting me at the door, Conor spoke up, "Glad to see you made it, Hector. Let's head into Frankie's office."

Seated in her office, Frankie's features bore a serious air, consumed by an ocean of thoughts, so deep she barely registered my entrance.

"Frankie," I addressed her. "How are you doing?"

Surprised at my presence, she lifted her gaze, "Hector! Hi... I'm okay... just okay," her voice wavered unconvincingly.

Underneath her tired eyes lay unanswered questions. I could only wonder about her inner turmoil.

"I didn't get the chance to thank you for the help last night. You, Zane, and Goat really came through for us. I can't thank you enough, it means the world to me. I'm forever indebted to you," Frankie's gratitude resonated deeply within her tone.

"Frankie, there's no debt to repay. As long as you and your family are safe, that's all that matters. Whenever you need anything, I'll be there," I said, trying to offer her some comfort.

Nodding in response, a tiny smile ghosted across her features.

"And the boys, any news?" I asked.

"Andy is doing great, but Steve is going to need some time to recover. Thankfully, Goat was a match for his blood. Be sure to thank him for me, will you?" she requested.