3 - Of Blood and Bond.

"Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in hell."

- Walter Scott

I savored the taste of my cognac, feeling the warmth spread through my chest as I set the empty glass on the dresser

A gentle knock came at the door, followed by Madison's soft voice. "Tori, can I come in?"

"Always," I replied, forcing my tone to sound lighter than the weight that sat heavy on my mind. For her—always for her.

She entered quietly, her usual bubbly energy replaced with a calm, serious demeanor. Madison was my baby sister, the one I had sworn to protect since the day she was born. She and my mother were my world. Though we shared the same blood, I had always kept her out of the darker corners of my life, allowing her only into the legal aspects of the family business. She was the COO of Pierce Holdings, and she was damn good at her job. But to my enemies, she and Mom were my greatest vulnerabilities.

"Can't sleep?" I asked, reaching out to gently brush her hair out of her face. There was a worry etched in her eyes that immediately set off alarms in my head.

"I know why you're sending us away," she said softly.

Of course she knew. This wasn't the first time I'd had to pack them up and send them somewhere safer, away from the inevitable fallout of our business. But it didn't make it any easier, not for her or for me. Conor and Ronan needed me now more than ever, and there was no way I was turning my back on them. Still, the thought of what might come—what might happen to my family—kept me up at night.

"I know there's a lot going on right now, Maddie," I said softly, pulling her into my arms. "But your safety and Mom's is all I care about. You two are the most important thing in my life, and I need you both far away until this storm blows over."

She pulled back slightly, her eyes red from the tears she was fighting to hold in. "But what about you?" she whispered, her voice trembling. "I'm scared, Tori. You have me really scared."

Wrapping my arms around her small frame, I pulled her close, feeling the dampness of her tears seeping through my shirt as she held on to me fiercely.

I wrapped my arms around her tighter, trying to offer some sort of comfort. "I'm going to be fine, sweetie," I said, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "You don't need to worry about me."

But she did. Madison had always been the sensitive one, the heart of our family. She wasn't made for this life—the violence, the bloodshed. She wasn't supposed to know the darkness I lived in. Yet, here she was, facing the reality of it in her own way.

I led her back toward the door, giving her hand a light squeeze. "You've got an early flight tomorrow. Get some rest, okay?"

She nodded, a weak smile crossing her lips. "Okay. Goodnight, Tori. Please, stay safe."