Chapter XVI - The ride.

Start from the beginning

I picked my phone, switched off the light and went downstairs.
Jaden was already complaining and throwing a fit on how Dad wanted to leave him. Mom was engulfed in the latest novel Dad picked up for her so much that she paid no attention to the commotion.

"We will be back in no time," Dad guaranteed. "I'll play the game with-"

"It's not like you'll win. Prep your brain for the loss before we come back, bye." I mocked him as I walked towards the door.

"Don't listen to her, I'll soon be back." Dad called out, as he came after me. Jaden fell backwards on the couch in defeat. Yes, defeat.

We both laughed till we entered the car. As dad started the car, Adamu opened the gate. As Dad reversed out of the compound, he waved us off and we were on the road.
The fuel station was like a ten-minute drive from the house, so it was not going to take long.

"Connect to the Bluetooth and play something from your spotify," Dad suggested as the car was silent.

"You know spotify?" I teased him. "Shocking."

"A huge insult to my person, if you ask me." He chimed in as he joined me to laugh.
The laughter slowly died down as 'Oceans by Hillsong' boomed through the car speakers. The soft music resonated through the air.

"E-hem, back to your question."
In curiosity and expectancy, I nodded hurriedly and leaned forward.

"I had a friend in my university days. His name was Kola. Kola was the fun friend, he was always there for parties. He dragged my introverted self to most of the parties I've attended in my entire life."

He looked at me to assess my attention and I nodded in response.

"Kola was the one that laughed it off when anyone complained about exams or stress. He always laughed at everything. Playing everything cool and calm." Dad chuckled as he swerved the steering to avoid a danfo bus.

"He committed suicide in our final year." He dropped the final bomb.

"Jesus!" I shrieked, as my heart sank with the news. "How? What happened?"

"We never fully got the real reason. While arranging his stuff, we saw a lot of betting slips. A lot." He honked at the car in front of us.
"Few days later, his siblings came to the school to take his belongings and we found out that he was an orphan. I felt really bad."

I gasped quietly.

"The fact that we don't know past what our friends have decided to tell us does not make us bad friends." - I nodded in affirmation. - "You have to make it a duty to be there for them anyway. Take note of their attitude and mood especially the friends who are unusually bubbly. You must find something off if you look carefully. The medics call it 'smiling depression'.

"If Kola had confided in us, maybe it would have been a different story. But, I guess that your friend is still very much around and the best thing for you to do now is to just be there for her." He let out a deep breath indicating he was done.

He pulled up in front of his usual fuel pump and jumped down, leaving me to digest every single thing.
My brain took some time to finally get the message, but I did. I watched as he made a little conversation with the fuel attendant, making her beam in smiles.

He got back in and started the car again. The music continued.

"And I will call upon your name..." He pitched in, his deep baritone voice accompanying the lead singer's.

"Another thing, Dad..." I hesitated.

"I have a friend too, I guess. She has issues with her Dad. She's like an influencer but then he forces her to take on gigs she doesn't want to. I don't really know much about it though..." I rapped out.

"Uhmm, this is not really your problem. What's the name of your friend? If I may ask." He focused on the road, while talking.

"Her name is Clara. Clara Duke." I answered.

"Then her father must be Mr Duke. I know him. He glanced at me. "We met once at a Parent and Teacher's association meeting. I'll probably call him for us to have a drink one of these days.

"Do you want suya? Let's buy for your mom and brother too at that junction."

I did a little dance on my seat. "Of course. It's been a long time since I had suya." I loved nights like this.

Dad pulled up in front of an 'aboki'.
The savory allure of roasted-meat filled my nostrils and made my mouth water.

After careful negotiation and pointing of choice meat parts. Dad trying to get extra with his fair knowledge of Hausa, we finally got four wraps of suya filled with generous portions.
He entered the car with a victorious smirk playing on his lip.
The 'aboki' man waved happily at us as we drove away.

The rest of the ride went on smoothly with us having a mini-karaoke in the night with contemporary Christian songs. I had a playlist and each of the songs were lit. I promised to make a special playlist for Dad too.

We finally got home. Mom and Jaden were already playing the game. Betrayal, if you ask me.

Dad decided it would be better to just watch a movie with our suya. We also had a leftover bucket of ice-cream in the freezer. It was a great plan, so we all agreed.

We had a subscription to Pureflix, so we decided to watch Overcomer.

The movie was tense and captivating so we finished quite late. With drowsy eyes and weak legs, we all went to bed after prayers.

More relaxed, I slept off after trying to call Isabella again. I made a mental note to visit her tomorrow if she still doesn't return my calls.
I think I finally figured out how to handle the whole situation.

*******************************************
I really want to see what Annie does.
What did you think of this chapter?
With love,
Férànmi.❤️