Blinking back her tears, Ummita forced a sad smile as she moved towards her brother. Seeing him in pain broke her in a way she couldn't even describe.
"Ayman, your company needs you." Ummita said.
"You should at least go today and I promise I will take care of Maha." She was met with silence, Ayman didn't even blink, it was as though he isn't the one she is speaking to.

It had always been that way, ever since Maha's coma he had ceased speaking. The last time she had heard his voice was five months ago, his voice had also slipped into a coma along with Maha's conciousness. He couldn't even speak to their mother when she had come to visit Maha four months ago.

She had tried her best to make him speak but no matter what she said, he would only blink his eyes and then his eyes would go back to watching Maha. Seeing him that way had been painful for Samira, at least when Aisha had died he was still able to continue with his daily activities. Now Maha was only in a long slumber that no one knew when she would wake up and he was acting like a walking dead, the pain was too much for Samira.  She couldn't bear to see her son in so much pain, just when she had thought things were finally going well in his life.

"Hajiya babba is on her way." Again her words were met with silence and Ummita could only sigh as she continued speaking.
"I know she's coming for trouble, you should prepare." Ummita said, she wasn't exactly sure but from the whispers she had been hearing in the palace, hajiya babba wanted to use Maha's unconcious state to get Ayman married to Asma'u. She couldn't believe how wicked hajiya babba is, she is actually using Maha's condition to force Ayman to marry again.

Her thoughts were broken when the door opened and hajiya babba stepped in, they both exchanged pleasantries and hajiya babba turned to face Ayman. He didn't even blink when she had opened the door, it was like he had become immune to the outside world and the only person he could hear and see is Maha, he would occasionally grab her hand and hold it in his and that was the only movement he has been making for the past five months apart from using the restroom.

"Ayman." Hajiya babba called out, she waited for his reply but none came.
"I know you can hear me." Hajiya babba said but again she was met with silence.
"Koda yake ai kune ke ji ba baki ba; anyways it's the ears that listen not the mouth."  Hajiya babba said with a sigh.
"I know your wife is in coma for five months and I'm sorry about that..." Hajiya babba trailed off as she looked at his face trying to decipher his expression, his eyes were expressionless and unfathomable and so she couldn't decipher anything.
"Your wife is in coma for five months and so i want you to marry Asma'u, maybe she is the one meant for you and that is why your previous wives keep dying." Hajiya babba said nonchalantly as though she was talking about something as mudane as the weather.

Ummita was awestruck at how heartless hajiya babba could be but she did notice something, even though it was a little action she had still noticed it. Ayman had blinked when hajiya babba said, 'your wives keep dying'. Ummita waited to see what Ayman would do but he did nothing.

The room was eerily quiet until hajiya babba spoke again,
"I will take your silence as a yes then." Hajiya babba said as she stood up to leave, suddenly Ayman's voice rang in their ears, it was low and barely above a whisper.
"I will divorce her the moment she is annouced as my wife." His voice was hoarse from not talking for five good months and he looked broken as he turned to look at hajiya babba, he stood up and walked towards hajiya babba and stood in front of her.

"Stop interfering in my love life." Ayman said, he gritted his teeth so hard that it began to hurt but he he didn't care.
"You don't know what love is because your husband never showed it to you so let me show my wife love." Ayman shouted, what he said made both hajiya babba and Ummita's eyes to widen. Tears welled up in the older woman's eyes as she rememebered the trauma she went through in her husband house, she silently left the room without saying a word.