24) A Grim Encounter

[🎵: Someone Else (Reimagined) - Loveless, Kellin Quinn 🔂]

You inhaled a deep, cool breath. The cold creeping into your lungs as you stared up at the still dark, early morning sky. Releasing it, you watched your breath form in front of you, mingling with the winds that were coaxing the heat out of your body in rapid tempo.

That time of year again, huh?

It was late November. The end of fall was settling over base, the chill no longer capable of being ignored. You were covered in a thicker uniform than usual, your wraith mask and heavier scarf already wrapped around your neck as you walked across the tarmac. Your winter gear still wore the same darker colours, less nimble but more packed, yet you had a matching beanie over your head now. Some tufts of brown hair sticking from underneath as they tickled your forehead. Your black baseball cap got left in your room as you needed reprieve from the biting cold on your ears. It resembled your captains beanie and you had to smother that detail before your thoughts ran with it. He looked way too good whenever he had that thing on and you were an absolute weak bitch for it.

Approaching the hangars, you waved your hand at the smoking, tall man leaning against the helicopter out front. He noticed you soon enough and kicked himself off of it. You could see the sunglasses he wore from here.

Even in winter? Bloody Russians.

Skipping ahead a few steps to cross the distance faster, your face grew a broad smile before you even reached him.

"Nik! Sorry to keep you waiting! How's my favourite pilot?", you said loudly trying to get over the sounds of heli's and planes warming up in the background. You fistbumped Nikolai on the shoulder, stopping in front of him.

"Prizzy! Better now. How is my favorite sergeant?", he said with his thick accent, an easygoing smile accompanying yours as it sat on his face. He had a hand on your shoulder as he took you in.

Nikolai'd always complained your last name was too long for him to pronounce. So ever since he learned of your callsign, he decided he had nothing better to call you than a cutesie version of the Russian word for Wraith/Ghost or Призрак (Prizrak). Naturally it sounded too harsh, so Prizzy quickly became Nik's term of endearment for you.

Coincidentally Priz(y) meant prize(s) in Russian, something Nikolai thought was funny considering how often he saw you and Price together. All in all, you didn't mind the nicknames. You enjoyed the Russians company thoroughly after all. He was one of the most laidback and effortlessly funny people you knew.

"I won't tell Sergeant Garrick I heard that, but I'm doing alright. You got another one for me?", you said with a laugh as you nodded at his cigarette.

Handing you one, you lit it with his lighter, the heat of it a feeble force against the cold surrounding it. Inhaling thankfully, you both comfortably watched the smoke trail in the crisp air. Welcoming the warm feeling entering your body.

"Laswell not joining? I can play us some good music in the helicopter", Nikolai said, raising an eyebrow.

"No 'Slaughter To Prevail' today, Nik. I'm afraid Kate would perish if she had to sit through-"

"You two talking about that screaming stuff you call music?"

You both turned around in a hurry, Laswell standing behind you with her hands on her hips and a pensive look on her face, heavily packed in thick clothing. She looked unimpressed but you noticed the little lines next to her eyes, and the big scarf around her neck definitely didn't make her seem too intimidating. She was glad to see the both of you in good spirits so early.

"You hurt my feelings, Laswell. Screaming is best part", Nikolai said as he opened the cabin door to the seats, his cigarette stuck in between his lips.