14) Follow the Leader

[🎵: FEED THE MACHINE - Nevertel 🔂]

Metal against metal. Bullets hitting the dirt around you, ricocheting on your surroundings. The loud intrusive sounds of chaotic explosions hitting your ears. It sounded like an apocalypse errupted. Breathing was heavy underneath your wraith mask, dust settling all around you.

You adjusted your cap a little. It was on backwards now, you needed all the clear sight your eyes could get at this hour. Your hair was a mess underneath, some strands framing your face as you wiped away the ones tickling your cheeks.

Bloody hell, they're not letting us get close at all.

You were crouching behind a container, your eyes peering out as you aimed your gun at the next target who had their head turned away and shot.

Another down.

You'd lost count by now, but many had fallen already and you weren't close to being done. You signalled at your captain you were moving up ahead, seeing him sneak up behind a barrel 10 meters from you, towards your right. He nodded back, as he pulled an unsuspecting enemy down by his collar, shooting him in the neck and in the face.

You'd been trying to meet up with Soap at the barracks, all four of you, as you flanked both sides of the open area that had become a warzone in the last thirty minutes.

Ghost and Gaz were moving up on the left, and you heard them every now and then over comms. They were having as much trouble as you were.

"Bravo 7-1, reportin' in. I cannae do shit from 'ere, lads. These fackers are comin' from everywhere. Greenie, y'any closer? I could use some 'elp", Soap's heavy breathing voice resounded in your ears as you tried focusing on where an enemy had suddenly left your sights.

"Johnny, I'm doing my best bud, but-", you got interrupted while talking as the person you lost sight of now tried punching you with their gun as you turned a corner. You ducked on time, slamming your gun into his throat instead and shooting him in the face while he'd dropped his gun and had tried grabbing for it. "As I was saying, doing my best, but I'll need more time", you answered him with a heavy exhale.

"Copy that. Everyone else intact?"

You heard some groans and hums resound, indicating people were decent for now but in the middle of fights and concentrating.

"Green, on me. We're pushin' in through the hangar", Price said through your ear piece.

"Roger, sir."

You checked behind the corner, killing off two more people as you shot them in the head, before ducking and rushing over to your captains location. Sliding in over the ground, you slammed yourself against a wall. It knocked the wind out of you with a loud groan while you started checking your guns ammo in a hurry. You had to make sure you didn't run out.

"We need to secure the weapons, after that we get out of 'ere as soon as possible. This aint our fight. Laswell called evac on us", Price said hushed as he peered out ahead, checking his gun for a second as well.

"So we're leaving them, sir? To fight on their own?"

"Not my orders, Green. Plus, they're already fleein' base themselves as we speak. Aint a fight worth dyin' for."

Price moved on as you followed shortly, watching his back, gun raised. He led you around a burning vehicle, it's violent glow shedding more light as the sun was now setting fast and you had little daylight left to go on. It helped shroud you in darkness, something you preferred, but neither of you were equipped with night vision gear right now. So at some point, the dark wouldn't be much of an ally anymore.