Chapter 24

***(Seliel's POV)***

I know there's something wrong the moment I walk into school. There's a buzz – excited chatter from various girls at Graceton and some indignant comments from Ridgewood guys. And they all seem to be centering around the attempt to combine Graceton's and Ridgewood's annual homecoming festivities.

I weave my way through the hallway and pop off a quick text to Nya. Did something happen with the pageant?

I receive a message back from her moments later. Ask Skylor.

Something tells me this is not going to be a fun conversation.

Where is she? I text Nya back.

Misako's office, she replies.

That makes the whole situation even more interesting.

I navigate toward one of the grand staircases leading to the second-floor honors classrooms and the leadership offices. In some ways, Ridgewood seems older than Graceton, even though the all-girls' school has been around for almost a hundred years now. The architecture here is reminiscent of the days when women wore corsets and men still found top hats appealing.

"Seliel!" I hear a familiar, excitement-inspiring voice call out from behind me.

I turn a head over my shoulder and smile when I see his warm features. "Cole," I greet.

He catches up to me on the first stair. "How's it going?"

I try not to laugh at the question. "I'm about to figure that out. Any ideas on what all the commotion is today with the pageant and Survivor competition?"

Cole frowns. "I heard a few of my friends talking about it earlier – something about a bunch of Graceton girls getting on board with the idea of combining Ridgewood's and Graceton's homecoming plans."

I feel my heart sink into my stomach. "Ah. That would be why Skylor is so displeased."

"She doesn't support the schools working in tandem?"

I widen my eyes. "I mean, have you met this girl? She's wanted to be Graceton pageant queen since she started attending the middle school campus."

He furrows his forehead. "But she announced her run for pageant queen last night over social media, even with the Survivor competition being part of it. I heard someone talking about it earlier."

I shake my head. "What? That doesn't make sense." I start heading up the stairs.

He follows behind me. "Please don't tell me this will mean another dramatic outburst from her. She seems great and all, but at this point, everyone at school is fed up with her. Even the students from Graceton are done with it."

"I'm hoping for the best," I sigh, finishing my trek up the stairs.

I head to Misako's and Wu's joint office immediately. I walk in without knocking, afraid of what a Skylor tantrum could evolve into if not kept under wraps.

I hear her voice from the inner office. "I've made such a mess," she moans. "This is all my fault."

"I think this is a great thing, sweetie," Misako encourages her. "I think if Ridgewood and Graceton put aside their differences, most students just want to get on with their school year. Perpetuating drama between our institutions is only increasing the rift."

"I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say," Skylor admits.

"You can't keep bringing up old problems between Graceton and Ridgewood and expect it to make your situation any better."