8 - Fury, Fear, and Favors.

Comenzar desde el principio

"Nothing a smile and a gun can't solve," I replied, playing it off nonchalantly.

He smiled wryly. "I see. But I'm not here to pry into your affairs. I was just thinking that since we work with the same man, we could benefit from knowing each other's plans. Don't you think?"

"And why would I do that?" I asked, arching a curious brow at him.

With a deep exhale, he eased back into the plush chair, his gaze steady on mine. "Consider this, I understand how crucial you are to Conor," he pressed on. "This world can be overly harsh for..." His voice trailed off, although I read his meaning.

"For a woman like me?" I finished for him, irritation beginning to simmer beneath the surface. I despised being underestimated.

"No, not a woman," he swiftly countered. "For a person of your importance. Don't misunderstand, I'm not undermining your capabilities. In our business, I've known women to be more skilled than men. But consider the people who depend on you. Avoid reckless gambles."

Depend on me?

My heart pounded ominously. Did he know about Noah? I'd tried so hard to protect Noah for years, always keeping him safely hidden away from prying eyes. The thought of anyone using him as a means to harm me was suffocating.

"I appreciate the counsel, but I can look after myself just fine," I countered.

"No doubt. I can testify to that," he offered with a complimentary tone.

I looked away, reminiscing about one particular night and the swell of emotions it provoked.

"I'm sorry if I woke up any old demons," he said regretfully.

"My demons never sleep," I responded, hoping he couldn't see the dread in my eyes.

Without a second's hesitation, he gently placed his hand on top of mine on the dining table. I caught his gaze and we locked eyes momentarily. His eyes were deep and piercing, overflowing with compassion and understanding that seemed to see directly into my core. My heart pounded wildly, leaving me feeling exposed and uncertain, not wanting to be swept away by his enchanting gaze. Swiftly, I pulled my hand away from his warm touch and turned my gaze.

Despite his tendency to irritate me, I couldn't deny that there was something alluring about his charm and charisma.

"I truly appreciate you bringing Matias Delgado and his son home safely, but I also want to ensure that you and your loved ones are secure as well. Sergei may have us on his radar, so it's important to take necessary precautions," I said.

"Don't worry, I have everything in hand," he responded in a reassuring tone.

──●◎●──

As the night wore on, I found myself caught between my fascination with Hector and my hatred for his family. But I knew that I was always in control, and I would never let myself be swayed by his dark allure.

Our dinner was actually quite pleasant, and I found myself close to enjoying our talk, until my phone started to ring.

"Hey.." I was just starting to say when my words were cut short by the sudden, piercing scream of Layla from the other end.

A chill ran through me as I heard the sound of gunshots in the background, and I feared that Noah might have been hurt. My heart raced as I thought of him, and I knew that I needed to get to him as soon as possible.

Without even thinking, I dashed out of the restaurant with Hector close on my heels.

"Frankie, what's going on? What happened?" His voice pierced the silence as he followed me.