CHAPTER NINE: A BINDING PROMISE AT THE BAR

Start from the beginning

I opened my eyes and groaned, stretching out my hand as I felt around the bed for my screaming phone until my finger tips touched the edge of the vibrating object. I swiped the screen to pick the call without checking the caller.

"Hello. This is Skyler." I said, my voice still coated heavily with sleep.

" Skyler. It is me" I recognized the voice immediately with it's distinct Australian accent.

"Sam?" I asked, some of the sleep washing off my eyes.

Sam is Mr Montgomery's driver and since I have been working, we've formed some sort of relationship. You know the kind that exist among workers and colleagues hence the first name basis thing. He was the one that drove tonight as always.

"Yes it is me.". He answered and I could hear the edge in his voice.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Uhhh. It is Sir Montgomery. I need you to come over here now." 

I immediately sat up hearing Mr Montgomery's name, with panic rising at the pit of my stomach.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked with worry.

"I don't know, he told me to drive him to this bar after we dropped you at home. He has been drinking himself to death for hours now. I do not think that he is okay. I am trying to help him but he would not listen and I am very sure that he just fired me." Sam said in one breathe.

"Don't leave him alone. Tell me where you are and I'll be right there."

After he told me where he was, I immediately cut off the call and pulled on a black adidas sweatpants after hastily pulling down my strawberry pyjama shorts.
I checked the time to see that it is almost three o'clock in the morning. I guess I slept for a while.

I don't have time to change into anything, so I just picked up a hoddie because it must be cold out by this time of the night and ran out of the apartment and I knew that by now the boys would be sleeping.

It was hard to find an Uber or a taxi at this time and since the address was not very very far from residence, I decided to run, it was at that time I noticed that I hadn't changed out of my fluffy bunny slippers but that didn't stop me.

I know I said the bar wasn't very far but my stomach hurt from all the running and I could barely catch my breath because I couldn't take a break but I knew a short cut to the bar, well because that bar is where I used to work or rather where I had sometimes worked before I started working for Mr Montgomery and that was the same bar that I had first met him.

The bar was almost empty and three customers lingered here and there.  One was already passed out at the end of the bar island and another one was drinking something brown at the far end of the bar that was clouded in the shadows.

Sam stood some feet away from Mr Montgomery who was currently looking like a wreck. His hair was disheveled —like a badger had fought for his dinner in it and it was somehow sexy—He was no longer wearing his tie which sat on the floor next to the bar stool he was sitting on. His shirt was untucked and his head was bowed in front of him with a nearly empty glass in front of him.

"Thank you for coming." Sam said as he came forward towards me. "I don't know what to do with him and I've never seen him like this."

"It's fine." I said before walking over to Mr Montgomery. I bent down and picked up the tie that was lying lazily next to his stool.

"Mr Montgomery?" I called, placing my hand on his shoulder to shake him slightly. All that came from him was a grunt and I still couldn't see his face.

"Mr Montgomery." I called again, shaking him a little harder this time and that got a reaction as he turned to me.

"W-What are you doing here Skyler?" He smelled strongly of alcohol like he just showered with it. He looked...like a wreck, a big one. This was more than he was that night. He looked... broken?

"So it's Skyler now, hmmm?" I don't know why I said that. I wanted to lighten up something, not the air because he was obviously too wrecked to notice it or maybe it was to lighten up my mind. 

He stretched out of his hands to take the glass in front of him but I was quick to it. Our reflexes weren't on par since he is drunk and I wasn't.

"That's enough for tonight sir. It's time to go home." I pushed the glass far away from him and took his arm in my hands to tug him up.

"Go home Skyler." He slurred.

"I'm not listening to you, not this time.  You are drunk and a total wreck, I need to get you home."

"How is that any of your business?!" He yelled violently jerking his arm away from me as he yelled at me.

The bartender must have heard the commotion from the back as he came back out and his eyes met mine.

"Sky?" Ronan called.

"Hey Ronan." I greeted halfheartedly.

Ronan looked at Mr Montgomery and back and me and a frown marred his face.

"Is everything okay?" He asked with worry etched on his face.

"It's fine Ronan. This is my boss and I'm here to take him home because he's completely wrecked. It's nothing I can't handle." I assured him.

"Oh, the new company you work?" He looked at Mr Montgomery. "Well, be careful. I'm here in case you need me for anything."

"Thanks Ron."

"It's nothing. It's nice to see you baby girl although, I'll like that to be under different circumstances."

"We'll have to get lunch sometime." I said before turning my attention back to Mr Montgomery.

Ronan is an italian guy in his mid to twenties and my former boss. He owns the bar and we're friends. He is the one that taught me how to bartend and I worked at the bar whenever I was free.

It was because I was working in his bar that I got into the Montgomery family ball that fateful bloody night. His bar was in charge of the drinks and Ronan bar is pretty high profile, he has bars all over the city and even outside of the city but one thing he loves is bartending. After all he did quit med school just to bartend.

"Mr Montgomery. We can do this somewhere else. I really need to take you home."

"And I said n-no."

"Well I say you are going and so be it." I deadpanned.

"I'm your boss, not the w-way o-ther around."

"Really?" I scoffed. "You can't even make a meaningful sentence."

He raised his head up. Now he was staring me straight in the eyes.

"What do you want from me, Skyler?" His voice sounded pained and i could see his eyes coated with tears.

"I want you to be okay, Fredward." My voice shook slightly as I tried to swallow the sob in my throat. "And I can't leave you until I know that you are." I said looking back in his eyes, my eyes pleading to him.

"Please let me take you home Fredward. I need you to be alright."

"I-I-I'm—I'm not alright Skyler. I don't think I can ever be."

I don't know why I did but I did. I hugged Mr Montgomery.

"You'll be fine. I promise."

I don't know why I did that,I don't know why I promised something I have absolutely no idea about but I did. I promised Mr Montgomery that he'll be fine even though I don't know why he isn't.

Even when I didn't know his past.

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTES

I told you there is more(θ‿θ)ʘ‿ʘ.

Well...scroll down for the next chapter too.

Don't forget to comment and vote.

Until the next chapter which is just a scroll or a swipe away.