5

the four tributes ran through the jungle until they were only surrounded by the lush life. "okay hold up hold up!" finnick panted heavily. theodora leaned against a tree catching her breath.

"god it's hot. we gotta find fresh water." peeta broke the silence. the ring of three cannons going of prevented the others from responding to peetas statement.

"well, i guess they're not holding hands anymore." finnick lowly chuckled.

theodora tensed as she saw the hostile look katniss gave her brother. "you think that's funny?"

"everyone that cannon goes off it's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them." he shrugged.

katniss unsheathed her machete and clasped it in both hands wielding it. "good to know."

"you want to face the careers alone?" he question. "what would haymitch say?"

"haymitch isn't here." katniss spat.

"let's keep moving." peeta spoke up and theodora nodded in agreement before following peeta as she whipped the old blood off her hatchet. second later finnick fell in step with his sister and kept glancing over at her as if to check that she's still there. the only sound that could be heard is footsteps and the occasional birds.

"peeta no!" katniss all of a sudden yelled and theodora shot her head up towards peeta who was cutting vines and was too late to katniss' warning as sparks emitted from a invisible force knocking peeta back towards them. they were all knocked back and theodora slowly sat up, trying to ahead herself she placed both hands firmly on the ground before looking over at finnick who was already looking at her, "are you okay?" he asked

"i'm fine finn." she reassured him before turning to see stems coming from peetas body.

"peeta?" katniss called out. she quickly crawled over to him when there was no reply. "peeta?"

that's when theodora realized that katniss did love peeta maybe not as much as she realized but she loved him. theodora thought of how much this much this must hurt she would be devastated if it was regulus. "he's not breathing. he's not breathing." katniss panicked.

within seconds finnick had pushed katniss away from peeta which resulted in her aiming her bow at him but theodora pushed it down. when it hit katniss that finnick was trying to save peeta she crawled over.

"come on peeta." theodora whispered under her breath as she watched her brother attempt to save his life. all of a sudden he gasped. finnick moved next to his sister squeezing her hand as they watched the couple embrace themselves.

———

it was now night and finnick was asleep with his head on theodora's shoulder as theodora and katniss were up on watch.

"you keep looking at that one side." katniss suddenly spoke. "are they important?"

theodora looked from the necklace to the girl from district 12, "it's my boyfriend."

"you must miss him."

she nodded, "yeah i do."

theodora tucked her necklace back in before looking over at finnick. "i thought it was brave."

"what?" katniss asked.

"when you volunteered for your sister. i don't know many people who would do that." theodora admitted.

"thanks." katniss smiled. "you two really care for each other don't you."

theodora looked at her brother, "yeah. he means the world to me."

katniss went to reply as the anthem started to play showing who had died.

"how many?" finnick all of a sudden asked.

"i counted 8." katniss replied.

they all sat in silence until they heard a slight beeping. theodora eyes looked around trying to figure out what it was. katniss stood and approached the metal cylinder.

"what do you think it is?" peeta asked startling the group.

"it's from haymitch. i think it's a spile." katniss answered.

"a what?" the odair siblings asked.

katniss didn't reply and crawled over to a tree and hammered the spile into the true and all of a sudden a stream of fresh water came from the tree and the four took turns taking a drink feeling a sense of relief for now. finnick ruffled his sisters hair as they leaned back into the tree they were originally against.