3

when theodora entered the training room she scanned it. johanna was throwing axes at dummies, brutus was throwing spears, and glass and cashmere were grouped together throwing knives. theodora spotted the hatchet and smiled slightly, hoping there would be one in the arena. theodora somehow made her way to katniss and fell into step as they walked over to wires and beetee, the two didn't acknowledge them. "well, friction generates heat which generates fire and it—"

"you should shift your hands down more." theodora spoke.

the district 3 tributes looked up at the blonde as katniss said "more your hands faster."

the two girls crouched down beside the others and theodora noticed how wiress and beetee exchanged a look. "thank you." beetee told the girls when the fire started.

"in the corner of the table." wiress whispered looking intently at the observation deck where the gamemakers sat. theo followed her gaze towards plutarch.

"plutarch?" katniss asked.

"no." wiress shook her head, "next to him." beetees looked up from his work raising his glasses.

"ah, a force field!" beetee laughed

"how do you know?" theodora asked

"the shimmering." beetee replied, "on the top left hand side." he continued before directing her head, "look there"

"it looks like glass." she stated in awe.

"it separates us and them" wiress says

"that would be my fault. i shot an arrow at them last year." she admitted.

"electromagnetic." beetee appreciated.

"how can you tell?" katniss asked which caused wiress and beetee to laugh.

"what's so funny?" theo asked.

"is it obvious or something?" katniss tried.

"is it obvious?" beetee choked out through laughter.

"they might as well have a sign!" wiress spoke.

"look around all the holograms, the lights. they flicker, why?" beetee asked the girls.

"because the force field is taking up too much energy." theodora realized.

beetee nodded, "there's always a flaw in the system."

———

the couple laid awake once theodora finally calmed down. regulus was running his hands through her hair. "what do i do, theo?"

"what do you mean?"

"if you get called, how do i live knowing you could die?"

theodora leaned on her elbow looking at him, "i don't know regulus. i honestly don't know. i don't know what i would do if it was you who got called."

"i don't want to lose you."

theodora leaned her head on his chest, "you won't. if im called im going to try to get out but if its me and finnick in the end i can't kill him."

"i know." he hummed. "look at me."

she leaned her head up, "hi." she whispered

"i love you and i know you will try your hardest and i believe in you and god i just love you so much."

"i love you, regulus snow." she whispered before kissing him. regulus wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her in closer as he deepens the kiss. she pulled away. "i think it's time to sleep now"

regulus laughed, "okay love."

"goodnight regulus."

———

the next day, theodora was sat in the waiting room shaking her leg before she had to do her individual assessment. "hey." finnick nudged his sister as beetee was called.

she looked over at him with wide eyes. finnick kissed her head, "we will be fine, dora."

she nodded. not wanting to think about it. finnicks name was called and it didn't take long for hers to be called. finnick and theodora made eye contact as they passed each other as if to slightly say that they were here for each other.

"you have ten minutes to show us your talent." plutarch spoke. she made her way to the hatchet and swung it in her hand quickly. a hatchet was second nature to her now. she closed her eyes before throwing it side ways and it took off the head off 3 mannequins. the game makers stared at her with shock as she bowed before turning and leaving.

———
theodora woke startled as she looked around the room. finnick was asleep next to her the two had been sharing a room due to theos nightmares she's been having again. she didn't want to disturb her brother as she made her way to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. she wished she could call regulus just to hear his voice to know he was okay but they would never allow that especially since it is snows grandson.

"you okay?" finnick grumbled when she walked back into the room.

"just a nightmare." theodora said climbing into bed.

"do you wanna talk about it?" he asks.

she shook her head before realizing that its dark and he couldn't see her, "no." she whispered. if was silent for a moment before she spoke again. "i'm scared finnick."

finnick was quiet for a moment. "yeah me too."

theodora let out a shaky breath. "i don't want to be confined to this stupid box that is in either a tribute or a victor and even if im a victor im not free. i hadn't felt free in a while and when i did it was taken away from me again."

finnick could cry hearing what his sister was saying. all finnick wanted to do was protect her but what if he couldn't even do that?

"president snow wants to take that freedom away from us, dora but don't let him whatever was making you feel free hold onto it when you are in that arena because it will help you live." finnick spoke.

hold onto it. theodora repeated over and over again as she fell asleep again. hold onto the freedom. the thing that made her feel free. hold onto the thoughts of regulus.