COFFEE DATE DECISIONS

6 NOVEMBER 2023, 3

6 NOVEMBER 2023, 3.45 p.m.,

I let out a sigh after checking myself in the mirror once more. I didn't think I would go to meet a girl for marriage. I know the final decision is mine, but still, I can't ignore the nervousness I am feeling. I took my phone and wallet and went downstairs. To my surprise, all the women were standing there waiting for me. As soon as they saw me their faces lit up with a smile. Ma took me in a hug and then kissed my forehead after pulling away from the hug.

"Wow! My baby boy has grown up so quickly," she said.

"You are right, Bhabhi. I feel like it was just yesterday when he would hide behind my pallu when you would ask him to drink his milk" Bua said, while I groaned feeling embarrassed.

"Bhai, all the best. I know you are a perfect gentleman but still behave okay. I don't want my would-be sister-in-law to be upset." Shanta said.

"I did not say 'Yes' yet, Shanta. What if I don't like her or vice versa?"

"I have a feeling that this will work out. And most of the time my intuitions are correct"

"Okay, enough of all the chit-chat. He will get late" my Dadi said to them and turned to me and extended a spoon of curd and said, "You are going for an auspicious thing, Have a bit of curd and sugar before going" I opened my mouth and had the curd. After taking the blessings of the elders I went to the meeting spot in my Audi A6 Sedan, to meet the girl.

AT BAY VIEW CAFE, 4 p.m.

After parking my car, I entered the cafe and looked around to find almost all the seats full. I guess she is on the rooftop, I was right. There was only one woman over there. It looked like she was in a deep thought. I tapped on the table, she broke off the thoughts and looked at me. I was mesmerized by her brown orbs that held kindness and confidence. She was wearing a blue top with white spots tucked into her dark blue jeans. Her wavy hair was let down. She stood up and asked, " Mr. Ram?". I nodded "Ms. Sita?" I confirmed, and she nodded in return. After a firm handshake, we took our seats and placed our orders. It was an awkward silence for a moment after which she broke the silence,

" So, I want to ask an important question?"

"Proceed," I said professionally, mentally cursing me for it. It wasn't an Office meeting.

"Why do you want to marry?" 

"Wow!!" I thought. I am seeing a woman with such confidence other than the women of my family. I briefed her on the reason to her and asked her the same question. She replied,

"My answer is almost the same. I am not against marriage, it is just that I didn't think I was ready for marriage. Then the women of my family cleared my thoughts about being a perfect and flawless wife and daughter-in-law. I am also positive about this marriage, I have a condition. You may be a businessman, but I will continue to do my job after marriage. There is no compromise about that. If you have any conditions you can feel free to tell them."