25: MAY THE BEST MAN WIN

JUNE 3, Saturday

A sudden knock from the door startled me as I panicked where to go. In my haste, I accidentally collided with Ethan. I struggled to maintain my balance, and in the process, I found myself inadvertently holding onto him. As I teetered on the edge of falling, my eyes snapped open just in time to witness Ethan beneath me. I landed on his chest, both of us tumbling onto the bed. The firmness of his body and the lingering water on his skin sent a sudden surge of electricity coursing down my spine.

As we immediately get back to our feet, Ethan's towel slightly loosened. Fortunately, he was fast enough to catch it.

Emeline appeared at the door with a shocked expression, and then she screamed. I tightly closed my eyes as her shrill voice reverberated across the room. Baka rinig din ito sa buong building, 'di ko alam.

"Emeline, it's not what you're thinking," Ethan explained in a panic as he folded the towel back in his torso.

I gestured with my hands and shook my head to indicate that her assumption was incorrect. "Nagkakamali ka. Hindi. Hindi," sabi ko as I attempted to curtly glance at Ethan, seeking for help. But my eyes darted on his chest then to his abdomen so I quickly turned, cursing myself.

This situation only felt more and more immoral to me.

"Reina, can I talk to you for a minute?" Emeline asked, and in my desperation to escape the situation, I nodded more than I should have had. Then I stopped the second I realized it. An awkward smile crept from my face as she shifted her gaze to Ethan. "You know you're still one of our instructors, right? And basically she's your student. Have you ever thought of that?" Emeline raised a hand, prompting Ethan to stop when he attempted to refute. "It's rethorical. Get dressed," she continued, pointing at him with a sheer disappointment on her face. "Get down to the common room, we have some planning to do." She glared at me before closing the door.

Without looking on each other, Ethan went back to the bathroom and I was left there, stunned. Wala ako sa sariling napaupo sa sahig, holding the bed frame as I collapsed. Napahinga ako nang malalim.

"Fuck," I uttered in a whisper.

Upon stepping out, I saw Emeline impatiently waiting outside. Her arms were folded over her chest as she continuously tapped her foot on the floor. She turned to me, propping her hands on her waist as if asserting dominance. I couldn't bring myself to look directly at her, so I settled my gaze right her shoulders.

"What are you thinking?" She snapped. "Why are you even in the same room?"

"Hindi ko rin alam, Emeline. I tried to protest, you know," I said, defending myself. "Aksidente lang yung nakita mo."

She released a scoff, and I looked at her with confusion. This time, the sweet, angelic expression that she always wore was nowhere to be found. The smirk on her lips seemed to convey that sharing the same air with her was an annoyance, and her eyes further hinted that I shouldn't be here in the first place.

I rolled my hands into fists as I coerced to pull myself together.

She placed a hand on my shoulder before saying, "I am well aware of your relationship, but if this comes out in the university, it will be over for the both of you. You will forever be branded as the student who seduced her instructor. And his academic reputation will be tarnished." Her usual self went back when she finally took a calming breath. "What I'm saying is... you should be careful. About the room arrangements, I-I'll talk with Tita about this. Hmm?" she said, tilting her head to appear concerned, and then smiled.

I nodded in response. Her hand on my shoulder felt like it would slither its way to my neck if ever I refused or something. It's not that I want to be with Ethan. He's not even my real boyfriend. And it's not like he is particularly interested in me. Kahit nga siguro maghubad ako sa harapan niya ay hindi pa rin 'yon magkaka-interest sa akin. Kailangan niya lang talaga ako para ma-cover up ang white lie niya. That's all.