13: IF ONLY EYES COULD SPEAK

APRIL 26, Wednesday

The entire drive to Blck, Aiden barely spoke to me. I tried blabbing about topics that he would usually chime in so eagerly, but I only received a few half-hearted smiles here and there. His eyes were sad and I had no idea how to make them brighter again.

I started to pick with my fingernails, resting my back against the softness of the seat, just thinking.

There is no way that Aiden likes me. He's everything. Why would he fall for a nobody like me? Even the thought of entertaining such a notion was absurd in itself. Aiden is Aiden. He is my best friend. And that's that.

Pagkapasok namin sa loob ng coffee shop ay mapapansin agad na may okasyon. Founding Anniversary, basa ko sa malaking tarpaulin na nakapaskil sa pader. Nagsasalin ang ingay ng mga boses at tugtog mula sa speakers na nakapalibot.

Medyo nahirapan akong maglakad patungo sa center dahil sa dami ng tao. May nabangga pa akong may hawak-hawak na kape, buti na lang at 'di natapon. As usual, my eyes refused to focus on anyone's face, but I could definitely see there were no seats left kaya karamihan, almost half ng mga customers, ay nakatayo. Unlike us na nakikipagsiksikan, a few were sane enough to step outside.

Yuki registered and was given a number which was 7. I took the initiative to pin the number to the hem of his shirt while he was reading the instructions printed on paper. When it was done, I gave Aiden a short glance, and he caught my eyes looking at him.

I literally don't know what to do at this point so I decided to ignore him and focus on Yuki.

The other contestants were good, but not excellent. #3 made an impression on me though. The way he enounced his words was fitting for the vibe of spoken poetry. Emotional and exaggerated. He would come first for sure. No doubt.

When it was Yuki's turn, I immediately clapped with enthusiasm, showing my support for him. I was the one who pushed him to do this, the least I could do was be his #1 fangirl.

Muli nang dumilim ang loob ng buong coffee shop at dumirekta ang ilaw sa stage kung saan nakatayo si Yuki. As the applause gradually died down, the soft strumming of a guitar began to fill the air, providing a melodic background for Yuki.

"Good evening, everyone," Yuki's voice rang out. "Ako nga pala si Yuki Rosewald at ang tulang ito ay pinamagatan kong Mapanlinlang na Kaibigan."

The room seemed to hold its breath as Yuki began to recite his poem, "Nagsimula ang kuwento sa katagang 'ayos ka lang ba?'

noong ikaw'y nadapa.

Alam niya ang pakiramdam na walang nakikinig sa 'yong mga gunita.

At naniwala ka, naniwala ka sa kanyang dilang kay tamis kung bumaybay

ng mga salitang sumasabay pa sa pagsingkit ng kanyang mga mata.

Hindi siya kumatok, ni hindi siya nagpaalam.

Pumasok siya sa 'yong silid.

Hindi niya pinansin ang..."

I marveled at Yuki's remarkable composure and poetic resonance. Every word that escaped his lips seemed to echo my own sentiments, creating an inexplicable connection. The graceful choreography of his hands and the poignant expressions etched across his face reverberated with a tangible sense of pain, each element masterfully intertwined to convey a profound emotional depth. Pero masyado pa siyang hilaw. May malaking potential, oo.

"That moron really did go to the stage," Aiden's voice broke through my deep thinking, his attention still firmly locked on Yuki.

He finally spoke. Thank goodness. Medyo napangiti ako bago tumango.