15: A CONTRACT WITH ETHAN

APRIL 29, Saturday

Pagkasara ko ng sasakyan ni Ethan ay nakaramdam agad ako ng kakaibang kaba. Perhaps it was because I knew deep down that I wasn't skilled at deception. I shut my eyes tight. I never liked this feeling. This niggling guilt.

Personally, I despised being on the receiving end of lies, which is why I also refrained from being dishonest with other people. However, considering the circumstances we were currently in, it was really arduous to ignore Ethan's request. Life was at stake. Literally.

I've experienced the loss of people who were once incredibly important to me. That made me particularly sensitive to the pain that Ethan was experiencing. If anyone could comprehend the complexity of this situation, it would be me. I understood intimately how it felt to be unable to do anything for the ones I cherished, how I watched them pass on as I stood on the side, crying in despair.

Suppressing the urge to let my fingers tremble, I concentrated on mustering a smile. Perched on the edge of Mrs. Ville's bed, I steadied my nerves while Ethan stood beside me.

With remarkable composure, Ethan's voice cut through the tension. "Mom," he began, his tone measured and calm, "We're not getting married."

"At bakit? Gusto ko ng apo. Hindi na kaya ako bumabata," Mrs. Ville said as she used her sickness as a subtle lever to persuade Ethan. I couldn't help but rub my forehead, trying to avoid making eye contact with her. She was a cunning woman. I could read the manipulation through her, and her quick grin only confirmed my suspicions.

"But you already have Yuki and Aiden."

"They're not babies anymore. I want a grandchild from you."

I gave Ethan a subtle nudge, hoping he'd pick up on my hint, but it seemed her words had already taken root in his mind. He appeared thoroughly convinced.

Ethan settled onto the bed, and Mrs. Ville's gaze naturally followed him. He held his mother's hands, giving them a tender squeeze. The warmth and affection in Ethan's expression took me by surprise; it was clear that he cherished his mother deeply.

Taking a sip from the teacup prepared by Ethan, I reached for a bunch of cookies to nibble on. Napatingin ako sa hawak ko after ko itong makagatan. Sobrang sarap ng strawberry filling nito sa gitna. It instantly brought to mind the strawberry shortcake I spotted at the bakery we visited earlier. Goodness, I'd really enjoy a taste of that right now.

"Mother, I love Reina," Ethan's words made me choke on my cookies, causing me to take several hurried sips. Ano? Ano raw? "Of course, I would marry her in the future. But she's an ambitious woman. Right now, all I want is to support her," he explained, his smile radiating genuine warmth as he looked at his mother.

I found myself momentarily gaping. Pati ako ay parang na-convince sa sinabi niya. Aakalain mo talaga na magkasintahan kami. What the fuck? Ba't parang naging mas attractive si Ethan sa paningin ko?

After that ay hindi na pinush pa ni Mrs. Ville ang gusto niya. Ethan talked to the doctor and then umuwi na. Habang nag-uusap kami ni Ethan sa office niya ay 'di matanggal sa isip ko ang version ni Ethan na nakita ko kanina. Getting to know him step by step, it seemed like only a few had witnessed that side of him. In some small way, today had made me slightly reconsider my judgment of Ethan. Maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought.

"Reina, I want to say sorry," he suddenly spoke, his fingers deftly loosening his necktie. "For all the hurtful things I've said to you. It was because of my mother's critical condition, and I didn't know how to handle the emotions that were overwhelming me. They were foreign to me. I'm- I'm sorry."

Hinawakan ko ang kamay niya and smiled softly, "Naiintindihan ko na. Thank you for apologizing."

"Speaking of which, I've already drafted the contract," he said, handing me the paper.

The Burnt Out Gifted Kids (Under Revision)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें