Chapter 41

CW: Guns and gross medical things

------

You walked with a split lip and a dozen new brushes on your body from Anaia's efficient mauling. She hadn't expected you to do the same to her in return. But for any amount of authenticity, you both needed to look like you'd fought your way out of hell to make it to the rally.

It was a shame healing yourself was limited from there on out.

"Later, cultists," Mai said to you and Anaia. They slipped away and you caught the black of their hair before they disappeared into the crowd.

Neither you nor Anaia acknowledged their departure.

"Let them riot on their own," Anaia whispered as you walked through town with her and a slew of other cultists headed towards the church where the event was happening. This was the last time you'd be around her before everything began. The sun was on its downward trajectory and the dust kicked up sunsets of pink and orange. "I'll have none of your hero antics, especially when both mine and Marcos' heads are on the line."

You didn't bother mentioning that Feitan's head was also in peril if you failed, but you doubted Anaia would recognize it. It must have shown on your face. Something about thinking his name sent a spear of loneliness through the spot in your chest where you'd severed the bond. Like the bond itself protested its treatment and wanted you to suffer for the wrong you'd committed.

"And your little creep too," Anaia said, like it made her sick to concede that Feitan existed in any form.

"You're going to need to let this vendetta go," you said, chest aching. Anaia's jaw ticked like she wanted to hit you again. While often unrufflable, mentioning Feitan was a surefire way to rile her. But you were tired of her dismissal of him. "If you need to blame something, blame fate."

"I don't believe in fate," Anaia snapped.

You chuckled. "Then you and Fei somehow have something in common."

A pair of cultists bargained for tickets beside you, but you passed them by. You looked around as surreptitiously as you could muster. Omokage hadn't made another appearance and one word from him would ruin everything. You had no choice but to bank on him saying nothing. It gave him an unreasonable amount of leverage against you, and by extension, the Phantom Troupe. Omokage had to know it too. And there was no way for you to communicate to the Troupe now that you'd found the man they were looking for. Or rather, a puppet of the man they hunted.

"When it's safe to do, get word to my friends we saw him," you said, wriggling your fingers at your side to indicate his palm tattoo. "Especially if he isn't at the rally."

"Normally I'd say I'm not a messenger, but unfortunately, I don't have that right this time," Anaia said.

"Thank you," you said, tugging your hood down lower.

"You're still not going to tell me who's taking the shot, are you?" you crossed your arms with a sigh. Not knowing pieces of the plan made your skin itch with nerves.

"Trust me," Anaia said. "It's best if nobody knows everything."

Of course it was, because you could claim ignorance and be telling the truth. But that didn't mean you liked it. For all you know, Feitan could be the one making the shot they had a single opportunity to hit true.

"Remember to break a front window to signal us and get out to move around the church before we make the sho–

"I know," you whispered. "Our friends won't be pleased if I divert from the plan, so I won't." Anaia shook her head like she didn't believe you, which was understandable with your track record. "See you on the other side," you said and slipped through the crowd away from Anaia and farther from Fei with every step.