Chapter 19

You couldn't spend another moment in the cell. After healing Anaia and Feitan complaining you were "undoing his work," you promised to get food and a cot while you waited for Shalnark to confirm what she said was true.

"A good hostage," Feitan said, as you climbed back up the creaking stairs to the first floor, "but more fun to kill her."

"Good thing that's not your decision," you said, airily, like you were only half in the conversation. Because you were – there was nothing and everything in your head. Anger and sadness and confusion ebbed and flowed through you; when you tried to clutch one, it slipped through your fingers and developed into the next emotion. Until all you had left was an empty wanting for something you couldn't place. "She's right that she's more valuable alive. I can use her as leverage."

And use her as the building block for an idea percolating in your mind. It wasn't enough to end them; you needed to devastate them.

Feitan pushed the door open and you blinked at the bright light you'd forgotten existed when you'd traversed the dank halls below the house. He didn't have anything else to say so you let the quiet linger a little longer as you headed towards the backyard, where people were laughing and screaming.

"Wait," you said, pulling Feitan into a side room off the kitchen. "Before we go out there and get asked questions, I need your opinion."

It looked like it was once a formal dining room, but the 'formal' of the space had long since disappeared. Fading, floral wallpaper and chipping cabinets lined the walls, like color and intricate china used to brighten the room in a long gone era. Heavy, patterned curtains hung over the window with golden wraps to keep them open wide. They would have been beautiful, and still would be, if they'd been properly maintained. And a dusty chandelier swayed over the dining table that dipped to the side. Light caught only where a parasitic, brown discoloration hadn't melted into the crystal.

You wondered what this room, this place had been like before. It was still grand, and beautiful, and timeless. But it could be more if it had really been maintained with staff and dozens of people to enjoy it. It made you wonder what other parts of the house you'd never seen, never bothered exploring.

"That all you need?" Feitan said, shutting the door and walking you back towards an empty spot against the wall. He guided you beside a window looking out back, where you could see out, and others could see in. He fanned his palms out over your stomach. "Beg for me."

The wild, detached joy still lingered in his features. Like he was drunk on what had happened and was slowly coming down, but still buzzed.

"You're such an asshole," you said, gasping as his hands roved your side and around to your lower back to pull you against him. He kissed up your neck, jumping mark to mark like he was solidifying them.

"Too late to complain," Feitan said, his warm breath catching your ear. "Already mine."

It was quieter in your head when he spoke, when he touched you; calmer like still grass on windless plains. But it congested your head too, with thoughts of nothing but him, and you, and you and him. One in the same and ever so different.

"But you're never going to stop being an asshole," you said, gripping your hands in his hair and pulling. "So I'll keep telling –"

Feitan kissed you as you were about to breathe, snaring you like an animal in a trap. But it was almost gentle with how intentional his movements felt against you. Until he bit at your lip and dug his nails into your side.

"Shut up," he said against your lips, "or ask question."

But he charged you with a difficult feat as he tugged your head to the side to bite back down your neck and grip your hips to grind you against him.