Chapter 29

You didn't know what you'd expected of the Hunter Association; something grandiose, well organized, brightly lit, and brimming with people. But not this place. It was nothing but an average building along a heavily populated street. And it felt wrong.

People scurried past, yelling and chatting and laughing. Cars zipped around corners, avoiding people biking and a few children who tried to make a run for it across the street. And carved out pockets of space for vendors with fresh, warm bread and gooey, delectable sweets.

It was difficult to focus when you were watching everyone around you, including Anaia. Mai had asked what happened if she ran, and your only answer was that you'd stab her with the antenna you'd borrowed from Shalnark. You could still only trust Anaia to a certain point. You needed her to get Marco and she needed you to get Marco too; with little else binding you, you let the small kindling of concern fester enough that you'd taken precautions in case you were no longer useful to her.

Anaia rapped a strange rhythm on the door and you wished Mai was allowed to join. But the request was simply for you and Anaia – the two Hunters. Feitan had pretended he had no interest when you told him you'd be meeting with the Association, but the bond never strained as you'd driven, so he had to be closely trailing you.

For once, you weren't sure if you wanted it.

"We can run, you know," Anaia said, not quite meeting your eye. "We're far away and out of an easily accessible range." You rubbed the palm of your hands into your eyes. Damn it all if you had to use the antenna. "The Spiders really are terrible." She scowled and rubbed at her nose. "They make me sick. And I can't even look at yours without wanting to kill him."

"Because Marco wants to," you said, feeling the flush of fury that your brother would dare do something as reckless as trying to kill Fei. He'd fail, and you'd have one alive soulmate and one dead sibling.

"But we can't now, can we?" Anaia said bitterly. "Or else you die too."

"I'm not running away permanently," you said, refusing to talk more with her about the Blood Bind. "They're my family and I refuse to abandon them." Anaia rolled her eyes. "I don't care what you think about them. I am so in love with Fei that it hurts. I want to spend every moment I can with him." You sighed as Anaia sniffed. "I wouldn't ask you to leave Marco. So don't ask me to leave Fei."

"You're just as soft as Marco," Anaia said, her lip twitching like she wanted to deepen her scowl.

"Does it not hurt, being away from him?" you said, only really caring for the first time. "You gave me a half-answer last time I asked."

"It hurts," Anaia said, her anger slipping towards something morose. "But it can't be helped."

"I'm not running," you said and Anaia shrugged like she didn't care either way.

"Fair enough," she said. "If you're approved to help support the Association, there's one more contact I want you to meet with today."

"The sooner we can get started, the better," you said, dodging as a pack of children barreled past you. "Why is this place in the middle of a family shopping district?"

"Better to hide in the open," Anaia said, as the door cracked open. "We aren't the most accepted wing of the Association."

"What–"

"He'll tell you," Anaia said.

"Who is he, specifically?" you said. She'd given you so little detail, you were half-thinking she'd fooled you all and set you up. The moment you walked in the door, you wouldn't come out. But the light shifted as the door opened, and you caught the glint of the Hunter Association logo embossed into the wood near the top hinge. There was no color or strong etching to draw your attention – you had to know it was there to look.