Chapter 36 The Divine Beast

Start from the beginning

Wei Wuxian narrows his eyes as question pops up on his head yet again, this "Divine Beast" has been living in this mountain for five hundred years already, it should have accumulated lots of mountain's spiritual energy and Yin qi from the maidens who all died in fear and hatred towards the villagers for sacrificing them; and yet why it is so vulnerable? That it all took to be wounded this much is just a slash from a sword of Lan Wangji and an exploding talisman from Wei Wuxian.

Isn't it also known to faced various cultivators during its life span and yet this is only its best?

What's going on? It should've been much stronger!

Unless it has weakened over the decade... yet like it was said, this beast has been seeping both Yin and Yang energies. Was it possible that it would weaken instead of getting stronger?

Wei Wuxian never heard of that.

The beast turns its head to Wei Wuxian and roar in anger, with open mouth it launches to Wei Wuxian again, he waves his hand, writing a sigil and direct it to the mouth, the inside of the mouth has exploded through his command.

Lan Wangji from behind slash his sword on the beast's neck successfully cutting it off. The head flew off, while the body collapsed in front of them. Wei Wuxian blinks in disbelief, 'this is way too easy!' he unconsciously blurted.

"Wei Ying..." Lan Wangji's voice reach his ears, and if weren't for the fireball that has been providing light to the dark cave, Wei Wuxian will definitely fail to see him standing in front of him because of his black hair and black robes. "Are you alright?"

Wei Wuxian nodded, other than the beast rips his clothes, he's not hurt anywhere. The small wound on his cheek is nothing but scratch. But what bothers them is how easy this fight is. On how weak the so called "Divine Beast". There's something isn't right about all of this.

With Lan Wangji's helping hand, Wei Wuxian stands.

"Did you notice it too Lan Zhan?"

Lan Zhan nodded, "Too easy. Don't have much Yin Qi."

"Right! For something like that, it's way too weak, like it just born..."

The earth tremble, much stronger than earlier that Wei Wuxian find support on the wall behind him, while Lan Wangji is like a mountain, unshakeable. Then a surge of resentful energy has prick both young masters.

An Evil Qi is way stronger than the ones they fought before. Way stronger than... "Peri," Wei Wuxian mutters, still supporting himself on the wall, taking out something from his sleeves, and his eyes widen—for the first time since he received it from Baoshan Sanren, the mirror has awakened, showing a character to Wei Wuxian, that says "Phoenix".

This mirror was provided by Baoshan Sanren, it could detect that evil qi of Yin Iron, the same metallic object that Wei Wuxian and his shimei Tiao Reinshun have found within the remains of Peri, The Stone Goddess. Since it never been reacting before, Wei Wuxian thought that it was broken and have already plan to go back in Celestial Mountain to tell his grandma. But to think that after two years of deep slumber, the mirror finally woke up.

"Phoenix" thus that mean... the soaring phoenix, Zhuque?

This isn't good at all. Even with all experience in fight, him and Lan Wangji would be, for sure, not enough to fight it. Worst if it really did awaken right now then what would happen in this mountain? What about the village?

The earthquake wasn't stopping, worst it even getting stronger with time passing. Following the source of the evil qi that are still pricking on them, they soon arrived at the end of cave. Wei Wuxian jaw dropped, this mountain is not a hill at all, nor even just a dormant mountain, this is... a VOLCANO! And an active one too!

How is it possible?! An active volcano in the land of snow?!

A hot lava, bubbling like a boiling water, moreover the ground where the two young masters are standing is not even that far, that they totally could feel the temperature; they are just probably around five feet above it.

Wei Wuxian curse in low voice, as they are clearly could see the silhouette of the huge bird bathing at the hot lava.

The head and long neck that aren't visible to them, is now presenting itself by emerging from the lava, and slowly raising its body as well, the lava seems has no effect on the bird seeing that it's black and red feathers are still beautiful, and intact.

The word beautiful is only could applied at its feathers, why? Because other than the feathers, everything on it is nothing but hideous, even the smell is so foul, that Lan Wangji cover his mouth and nose with his sleeves. They back away but did not run.

The "Divine Beast" that in the story of isolated old man must be this!

The Beast that hated by both Gods and Ghost Kings.

The Beast which was created by the cultivator who wanted to ascend.

The Beast that is not acceptable to any realm.

The Beast that was made using evil qi.

And the thing that actually eating the maidens and defeating cultivators for over five hundred years.

It is none other than Evil Phoenix, Zhuque!

Wei Wuxian cursed under his breathe, while Lan Wangji pursed his lips. Both are staring at the emerging huge bird coming out from the boiling hot lava. Backing away from the heat while unsheathing their swords and thinking how many talismans are ready to pull and throw, with their other hand already form a sign.

This time, for sure, they wouldn't be able to stop the disaster that will come down to the village.

Upon looking at this beast, Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian realized that the beast that they first encounter is nothing but a guardian that job might be just to drag the maiden to the real "Divine Beast".

But then what are those bones? Wei Wuxian was sure that those are from maidens in ages eighteen and below, it couldn't be those are bones of cultivators that came before them.

When the upper part of the huge—gigantic bird came out, the wings raise and expand even carrying some of lava which falls back at the sea of fire, but some are fell somewhere else like, walls and even on the spot where the two young masters are standing, with that Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji dodge in time to avoid getting caught.

As the wings expand to its limits the evil beast roars strongly and loudly that the earth tremble harder. The young masters cover their ears at the best they could, because together with that roar is very thick evil qi that could make an ordinary person collapse, worst die, at the very least the effect on them are only headache and ear ringing.

The ceiling of the cavern didn't last long at the awakened of the beast that it been covering for many years. As soon as the head of evil phoenix bumps on it, it crashes and finally collapse, the debris falls and immediately melt upon touching the boiling hot lava, letting flame-colored light lights the always quiet mountain; it was dark outside, stars and moon are watching.

This is a problem, if the phoenix flies now, it'll either destroy the Night Sky Village or worst destroy the whole area around.

The Evil Zhuque flaps its wings and again let out a shrill roar, releasing evil qi that spread throughout the village.

Within the forest of Night Sky Village, just at the outside of his hut, the isolated old man is standing there, back straight and staring at the reddish orange light that coming from the Snow Mountain. Hands claps behind him, and although his figure is old and wrinkle, the isolated old man somehow doesn't look weak and could be mistaken to be in his youth age. His eyes narrow, as he mutters, "It finally starting."

The huge wings continue to flap, releasing strong winds that creating series of ripples and wave on the lava. The pair of cultivators are nowhere to be found.