XIII

BGK

BGK

A good thirty minutes passed and Dorinda was still upstairs. I was sitting on the couch listening to everyone talk when I heard faint yelling from upstairs.

Kelly and I made eye contact almost immediately as I tried to listen closely to what Dorinda was yelling about.

"Hold on I'll be right back y'all." I said as I quickly got up from the couch and jogged up the stairs.

"Angela if my name is on the documents then all that shit is mine! Are you dumb?!" I heard Doe say as I walked up to her door.

"You're a dummy, I'm his LEGAL wife. This ain't no common law shit!" She said as I opened the door, seeing her phone pressed up against her ear as she paced the room in anger.

"Like any judge or lawyer is going to take your case. I'd love to see you try." She said finally noticing I was at the door. She held her hand up as she listened to whoever was on the other end of the phone.

"Take me to court then Angela. Let's see what happens." She said before hanging up and throwing her phone on the bed.

"You want me to handle her for you?' I asked making her shake her head almost immediately.

"Nope, let her embarrass herself so I can counter-sue for emotional distress and harassment." She said walking into the bathroom that was connected to her room.

"Like she's dumb. She keeps saying she's his common law wife like girl. He's legal married, you can't be common NOTHING with a man that's LEGALLY married. My name is on that paper that the judge signed, not hers." She rambled as she angrily rummaged through the drawers.

"I told you to let me handle her at the hospital, she could've been right next to him in hell." I said as I sat on her bed.

"Talking about she's his common law wife. Well I'm his lawfully wedded wife hoe, top that." Dorinda said angrily as she shut the dresser drawer and went into her closet.

"What you looking for Ma?" I asked leaning back and getting a little more comfortable on her bed.

"It's an envelope they held all my marriage stuff. Our marriage license, prenup, all that." She said as she shuffled through the boxes on her top shelf.

"You need to go check the apartment?" I asked as she turned around and stepped out the closet. She looked over at me and froze just staring at me laid out across her bed with her bottom lip between her teeth.