Chapter 12 - Moon 8

Start from the beginning

The mentors observed closely, offering occasional guidance. Branchfall focused on Redpaw's stance, advising him to be more agile, while Blackstripe honed in on Ivypaw's timing, encouraging her to be more patient.

As the skirmish continued, the apprentices' moves became more calculated. Redpaw, fueled by determination, managed to land a few successful attacks, while Ivypaw showcased her agility and experience, avoiding most of his advances. The exhilaration and adrenaline was exciting, and despite everything, Ivypaw found herself enjoying it.

At one point, Redpaw pinned Ivypaw to the ground, a triumphant glint in his eyes. "Got you," he declared.

Ivypaw grunted, momentarily caught off guard. However, she quickly twisted beneath him, using her hind legs to push him away. "Not for long," she retorted, regaining her footing.

The mentors intervened before the tension escalated further. "Good effort, both of you," Branchfall praised. "Redpaw, in a couple seasons I can see you being a formidable warrior."

Blackstripe turned to Ivypaw, "It's crucial to understand your opponent's moves and anticipate their next actions. This exercise helps you hone those skills."

The sun was high by the time they left the clearing, Ivypaw already sore and bruised, but satisfied.

Blackstripe smiled down at her as they walked through the entrance, "Your confidence has improved so much."

Ivypaw glowed with pride. Ivypaw felt better than she ever had. Confident, satisfied, and going home to her friends. Life wasn't so bad, in fact, it was enjoyable.

"Ivykit. Long time no see." A familiar voice hissed.

Ivypaw's blood ran cold, and she feld Redpaw come to dead stop behind her. She slowly turned her head, her confidence melting away in a heartbeat. Violetkit.

"I hear you're an apprentice now," Violetkit hissed, stepping forward. She looked larger than Ivypaw remembered, and instead of being beaten down from the moons of living alone, her pelt glistened with health. "I suppose it's TraitorPAW now."

"There is no need for that," Blackstripe meowed sternly.

Violetkit smiled up at him with a sickly sweet smile, "I understand." It wasn't an apology.

Blackstripe frowned, but didn't say anything. He gave Ivypaw a nod before heading towards the nursery. Ivypaw watched him go, her paws rooted to the ground. Don't leave me, she whispered silently.

"Did you miss me, my dear sister?" Violetkit asked, sliding closer.

"I did!" Redpaw finally spoke, "What happened to you?!"

Ivypaw tried to shake the fear out of her head. It was just Violetkit. Violetkit was a bully, but she wasn't evil... was she? Ivypaw started to move out of her sister's gaze, but Violetkit stepped in front of her. "What's wrong? Don't you want to hear what I did while I was gone?" Violetkit asked, her voice like a viper.

Ivypaw pushed past her sister, "N-no. I don't." There was nothing she would like less then to stay near Violekit for one second more.

"You'll find out one way or another," Violetkit sneered after her.

Ivypaw took several steps blindly before finally scanning the camp. Snowpaw and Winterpaw were nowhere to be seen, but Bichpaw sat outside his den, sorting herbs. She hesitated for only second before padding up to him. "Hey," her voice sounded strange, even to her, "Violetkit's back."

Birchpaw glanced up, then his eyes flitted over to Violetkit. "Can you grab that Catmint and come in? I need to show you something."

Ivypaw picked up a bundle of herbs, thankful to be away from Violetkit's piercing gaze. His den was cluttered with moss and herbs, but it was nice to see how full it was. She set the leaves down on a shelf and sat down somewhere that was relatively clean.

Birchpaw was shuffling around in his stores. "This morning I was talking a walk to check out my marigold plants this morning," he began, "and a tree branch almost hit me."

"I'm... sorry about that?" Ivypaw said, confused.

"No, that's not the point. A rock was embedded in the branch. It was what made the branch fall." He turned to her, sliding a rock out of a shelf towards her, "this was the rock."

Ivypaw glanced down at it. "You think it could be a sign from the Clan of Rising Star? Maybe the Clan of Falling Rock is planning something?"

"Yes to the first question and no to the second." Birchpaw looked up at her, hesitating before he said, "flip the rock over."

Ivypaw was confused, but did as he said, flipping the rock over with her paw. The bottom of the rock was cracked open, revealing a deep violet crystal inside. Ivypaw gasped.

"The branch fell off the tallest tree in our borders." Birchpaw meowed.

Ivypaw opened her mouth to answer but was interrupted by Acornstar's yowl. "I call all cats of the Clan Of Tall Trees to gather for a clan meeting!"

Ivypaw jumped involuntarily. Her wide eyes met Birchpaw who's expression mirrored hers. "Keep an eye on your sister," he whispered.

"We have been blessed with the return of one of our kits," Acornstar meowed loudly.

Ivypaw settled down next to Snowpaw and Winterpaw, glad to see that Snowpaw looked uncomfortable by the news as well.

"Violetkit, step forward." Acornstar said.

Ivypaw whipped her head around to stare at Violetkit, Snowpaw equally shocked beside her. She was being apprenticed already? Riverflower stood beside Violetkit, sobbing and licking her daughter's forehead. Violetkit didn't seem to notice her mother and stepped up to the rock.

"Violetkit, you are well past the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Violetpaw. Your mentor will be myself. I hope to pass down all I know on to you."

Violetpaw looked pleased, leaning up to touch Acornstar's nose with her own.

"Violetpaw, Violetpaw, Violetpaw!"

Ivypaw, Snowpaw, and Winterpaw didn't join in with the cheering. It was a huge honor to be chosen to be the leader's apprentice. She doesn't deserve it, Ivypaw couldn't help but think as the gathering dispersed.

This is Violetpaw, recently returned from her banishment.

❤️Don't forget to vote or comment if you like the chapter! Thanks, I love you all!! 😘