4

2.21
superstition

This morning I was scrubbing in on a surgery with Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd when I saw her take her rings off, put them in a gold holder she slipped them him her pocket. This is what she does for good luck with every surgery she does. I don't believe luck or juju, I think it's all pretty silly.

Addison started the surgery and it was going good until it wasn't. Something bursted and the patients blood went all over my forehead, but we had bigger problems. She was coding, and soon enough she was flat lined.

"Call it, Allen." Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd let out as she ripped off her mask. It never feels good to lose a life when you're trying to save one. I like to think we help more than we hurt, but there have been a lot of deaths recently.

"Time of death 8:17." I sighed looking down at my gloves that were covered in blood just like my forehead. Everyone else left before I did, but I quickly went to go shower before anyone else could.

After I showered it was time for rounds, all of the interns were changing into clean scrubs.

"Four surgeries, four fatalities and the day has barely started. Can I have a bite of that?" George asked our ray of sunshine Cristina, who definitely woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

"No. You're in my apartment, you don't get to be in my food." Cristina replied with her mouth full. This past couple weeks have been rough. First George and Meredith sleep together and she cries hurting his tiny ego. He refuses to talk to her, but I kinda see where he is coming from I mean she literally cried in the middle of them doing it. At the same time Meredith isn't exactly emotionally stable.

"Dr. Burke gave me a protein bar, this morning." George said sounding like he was trying to brag but there wasn't anything to brag about. He's living with Dr. Burke who is giving him hand outs. He's my bestfriend not Burkes. I'll fight for him even if I lose. It's 007 and Lucy the prodigy against the world.

"Burke packs his lunch for him. Did I mention?" Cristina told me still laying on that bench in the middle of the lockers.

"Aww, how sweet." I tease as I shut my locker. Today doesn't feel right. Something is off I can tell.

"I talked to the morgue guy this morning." Izzie let ou.

"The one with the unibrow?" Meredith questioned while sitting on the end of the bench to tie her shoes.

"The one with the like teeth thing. And he said that surgical fatalities come in threes and sevens. Says there'll be three more before midnight." Izzie told us quickly as she ate an apple. See again with this whole superstitious stuff, it's crazy. I mean we work in science, we should know this stuff is completely bizarre.

"Well, ok then. Since 'dead tooth' morgue guy said so." Cristina joked with a slight glare.

"He's the morgue guy. He knows things about death." Izzie said. She actually believed this nonsense? I thought she would atleast know better than that.

Meredith picked up Georges beanie from the floor and tries to hand it to George. "You dropped this." She told him but George doesn't take it and just walks away.

"He's still ignoring me." Meredith uttered with a tiny sigh.

"Ignore him back." Cristina and I responded in sync.

"Derek says I should apologize until he listens." Meredith told us.

"Derek says?"

"It's good advice. He's my friend. That's good friend advice." Meredith let out as I saw George pouting while leaning on the sink. This is getting a bit out of hand, so what if she didn't enjoy the sex? Get over it. I say the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.

While I was thinking of ways to get George talking to Meredith, Alex came and pulls me aside.

"What?" I asked as I watch him slip on his white coat.

"Did you sneak out last night?" Alex whispered like me sneaking out was a great monstrosity.

"Yeah. I, um...I couldn't sleep." I replied as Bailey barged in.

"Come on." Bailey called her interns not looking like she was in a good mood either.

"Where?" Meredith asked trying to quickly slip on her white coat.

"The chief wants us all to meet the new neurosurgeon." Bailey said as we all started following her out of the locker room.

"A new neurosurgeon? Meredith's boy toy has some competition." Alex teased since he obviously knew Derek and Meredith don't have anything going on anymore, of thats what they say.

We begin walking through the hall, as we walk by the nurse's station Addison stops them.

"Uh, Dr. Bailey. Here you go." Addison handed Bailey a cup with a big forced smile.

"What's this?" Bailey asked skeptically taking the mystery cup.

"Hot cocoa. It's a little ritual we had in New York. Four surgeries, four deaths, I figure we could all use a little good juju." Addison awkwardly told Bailey while grabbing another cup of 'juju'.

"And cocoa equals juju how?" Bailey asked.

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't question the cocoa. One for you Lucy for helping me this mornin." Dr. Montgomery- Shepherd gave me a cup of cocoa. I told you she likes me..we all start to walk away, Meredith is trailing behind. To everyone's shock Addison gave her a cup of cocoa, that she just threw away.

We walked into a little boys room, where we saw a tall blonde with her back towards us. "Dr. Moore?" Bailey called out giving the wall a knock to get her attention. It can't be..no way.

"There you are, Dr. Bailey was it? It's nice to meet you." My sister Lauren Moore turned around to greet Bailey.
This was it, everyone was gonna find out about my lies. I can't believe this, I knew today's was gonna be shit.

"Dr. Moore? Is your dad Lucas Moore?" Cristina asked as she walked up to my sister to shake her hand. "I'm Dr. Cristina Yang."

"Yes he is.." Lauren raised an eyebrow at me, she was confused as she should be.

Everyone introduced themselves to my sister, the shook the older version of me hand. Then she turned to me who was just standing in the corner. What do I do? Continue to lie or admit my lies?

1076 words
"Maybe it's a blessing in disguise"