Chapter 2: Svadhisthana

Peter sighed to himself as he and Percivalle wandered the empty yellow halls. It had been days since they reached the end of the red room and ever since then, it was back to normal. However, even though the red rooms were a dead end, they gave Peter hope that there was so much more to be discovered.

On top of that, the presence of the mysterious doctor that accompanied him, made Peter wonder by the second. Everything about him was confusing. He said he was a doctor, but he dressed more like a farmer. He seemed to be a normal person, but this guy wasn't panicking one single bit.

He seemed more afraid of Peter himself at first because of the mask.

However, the Backrooms themselves didn't seem to make the older gentleman so much as sweat. Every time they reached a dead end, he would simply turn around and keep walking, singing songs he knew. Which didn't sound terrible, but there was no hiding that gruff voice of his. No amount of time down here seemed to get this guy down. He made Peter feel downright angsty by comparison.

Soon, Percivalle's confidence was quickly granted a small reward, when they came across a red metal door in a darkened corner.

"Ah, hallelujah! It's Christmas!" The man laughed.

"For the love of God... no Christmas songs." Peter sighed.

"Mariah Carey?" Percivalle teased, then laughed and nudged as he noticed Peter's groaning. "Hah! I'm just yanking your chain, kid. Lighten up."

Peter sighed again and shook his head. "I know."

"Keeping your spirits up is the name of the game, kid." The man said as he opened the door.

"I know, I know." he shook his head. "You've said that already." He sighed as he followed Doctor Percivalle through the door.

Then his eyes widened and his jaw hung open as their scenery changed once again. Beyond the door, gone were the yellow walls, and cramped halls. Gone was the moist, carpet. Instead they stepped into a darkened parking garage, with concrete all around them and several pillars in the center of the room with the number, one on them. Two darkened paths lead further downward into the complex. Though the carpet was gone, the floor was still moist with condensation from the mist that hung inches above the floor. The lights overhead still hummed with fluorescent light, however now glowed with the amber color of street lights.

"I certainly hope it's not paid parking." Peter sighed as they started on ahead.

"Hey! That's the spirit, kid!" Percivalle laughed with an amused shake of the head. "Well doesn't this place look cozy?"

"Oh yeah." Peter nodded, sarcastically. "I always like a nice puddle in case I get overheated when I'm sleeping."

"What, the spandex not cool enough for you, kid?" the man laughed teasingly, gesturing to his outfit again. "Seriously, WHAT is with the tights?"

Peter shook his head and let out a sigh. "Well, it's like a uniform, sort of. I helped people."

The man looked off with an awkward grin after that. "Oh, I see. Helped people feel less lonely." he teased.

"What!? No!" Peter argued, causing Percivalle to laugh even harder.

"Relax, kid, I'm just picking on you." he replied, patting him on the back. "So, what DID you do?"

"Well, all sorts of stuff, really." Peter shrugged as they walked down a ramp into a pitch black hallway with more light at the end. "You've seen what I can do."

"What? The climbing up walls and shit?" He replied.

"Yeah." Peter nodded.

"Truth be told I thought I was just fuckin nuts." Percivalle laughed aloud, nearly coughing as he did.