Chapter 8 -Struggling to face what can never be faced

July 30, 2007

It had been three days since the incident. True to his word, Light had mentioned nothing of what L told him to his father, nor did Soichiro ask about what they'd discussed. The entire Task Force had been informed C wouldn't be available for a while because of something that had triggered her in the hospital, resulting in Chief Yagami and Inspector Aizawa needing to collect her and Light, yet nobody questioned L any further. They just rolled with it, since C's ability to interact with earthbound spirits wasn't exactly normal either. But Light had no intention of simply letting the matter rest. And after three days, it was high time to set part one of his plan in motion.

"I need to use the restroom," he said, turning in his chair to face L.

"You already went this morning," rebuffed the detective without taking his eyes off the computer screen in front of him.

Light stared blankly at him. Was L really going to make him explain basic human anatomy and that what goes in must eventually come out? He'd made it a point to drink a lot - or he pretended he had thanks to his matted black water bottle - so his excuse would be valid.
Noting Light's insistent glare, L sighed and climbed out of his chair. Light followed in tow, once again cursing the damn chain and cuffs connecting him to the super-sleuth. Thank God he was no longer bound to L 24/7. Having to be in the same room to work mattered little to Light, but he drew the line at sharing a bathroom with a stranger. Even if he was a suspect in a case, he was entitled to privacy, and it had taken a lot to convince L in those first days to at least wait outside, with the chain scuffling underneath the bathroom door to keep them connected. Seriously, what did L think he was going to do from the shower? Kill a criminal halfway round the world by throwing his loofah against the wall? Though his father insisted on keeping the cuffs on as they slept, he at least allowed Light his basic human right to good hygiene.

"I'll wait here in the corridor," said L, as they neared the restroom. "You have -"

"Three minutes," finished Light. "Yes, I know. Thank you."

L leaned back against the wall, looking as if he were waiting for the next bus downtown instead of escorting his murder suspect. Light didn't pay any further attention to him and closed the door after sliding the infernal chain through the small gap beneath. Quietly, he knocked on both stalls, hoping his accomplice had read the entire note he'd convinced his dad to let him slip under her apartment door that morning.
As soon as the stall on the left opened, Light clasped his hand over Misa's mouth to keep her from exclaiming his name. He pushed her back inside, closed the door, and then ticked his wrist. She nodded and gave him her phone, on which she'd prepared a timer of two minutes and thirty seconds.

"I'm going to let you go now," whispered Light, "and you're going to keep your voice as low as possible."

Another nod. He let go, instantly regretting it as Misa's arms wrapped around his waist.

"Light, my precious darling," she said, "it's been so long since it's just been the two of us. Not sure how much we can do in two minutes, though."

"Do?" Light furrowed his brow at the blonde clinging to him like a baby koala. "What are you talking about? Can you let go of me, please?"

"You wanted to meet me here for a quickie, right?"

"Um, no, not really."

Misa huffed and sat down on the shut toilet lid. Her lips pouted and her eyes were big and pleading. "Are you sure? Not even a BJ?"

"A... huh? No, Misa, I need your help."

"You do? Oh, Light! It means so much to me you would trust me to help you!"