Death Note Appendix I - How To Use

I.   The human whose name is written in this note shall die. This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in mind when writing his/her name. This is to prevent people who share the same name from being affected.

II.   If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of the subject's name, it will happen.

III.   After writing the cause of death, the details of death should be entered within the next six minutes and 40 seconds.

IV.   If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will die of a heart attack.

V.   If the time of death is specified within 40 seconds after writing the cause of death as a heart attack, the time of death can be manipulated and can go into effect within 40 seconds after writing the name.

VI. The conditions of death will not be realized unless they are physically possible for that human or could be reasonably assumed to be carried out by that human. Since the limitations applying to the conditions of death are unknown to the Shinigami, Death Note owners must find out on their own.

VII.   When the same name is written in two or more Death Notes, the Note which was used first will take effect, regardless of the time of death. However, if the same name is written in two or more Death Notes within 0.06 seconds, the entry is regarded as simultaneous; the Death Notes will not take effect, and the individual will not die.

VIII.   If a Death Note owner accidentally misspells a person's name four times, that person will be free from being killed by the Death Note. However, if the Death Note owner intentionally misspells the name four times, the owner will die. The person whose name was misspelled four times on purpose will not be free of death by a Death Note.

IX. You may write the cause and/or details of death prior to filling in the name of the individual. Be sure to insert the name in front of the cause of death. You have about 19 days (according to the human calendar) to fill in a name.

X.   The Death Note will not take effect if a victim's name is written on several different pages. However, the front and back of a page are considered to be one page. For example, the Death Note will still take effect if the victim's last name is written on the front page and the first name on the back.

XI.   In order for the Death Note to take effect, the victim's name must be written on one page; however, the cause and conditions of death may be entered on other pages. This will work as long as the person who writes the Death Note keeps the specific victim's name in mind when writing the cause and conditions of death.

XII. If the cause and conditions of death are written in before the victim's name, multiple names can be written as long as they are entered within 40 seconds and the cause and conditions of death are not impossible. In the event that the cause of death is possible, but the conditions are not, only the cause of death will take effect for that victim. If both the cause and the conditions are impossible, that victim will die of a heart attack.

XIII.   When you write multiple names in the Death Note and then write down one cause of death within 40 seconds of writing the first victim's name, the cause will take effect for all the written names. Also, after writing the cause of death, even if the conditions of death are written within six minutes and 40 seconds in the human world, the conditions will apply only to the victims for whom they are possible. Those for whom the conditions are not possible will simply die from the specified cause.

XIV.   A human death caused by the Death Note can indirectly lengthen another human's original life span in the human world, even without the owner's specific intention to do so.

XV.   Once the victim's name, cause of death, and conditions of death have been written down in the Death Note, the death will take place even if that Death Note, or the part of the note used, is destroyed before the stated time of death.

XVI.   If the victim's name has been entered and the Death Note is destroyed while the cause of death is being written, the victim will be killed by a heart attack 40 seconds after the name was entered. If the victim's name and cause of death have already been written, then the victim will be killed within six minutes and 40 seconds via the stated cause of death if it is possible within that period of time. Otherwise, the victim will die of a heart attack.

XVII.   Suicide is a universally valid cause of death as all humans are thought to possess the potential to commit suicide. It is, therefore, something that may be reasonably assumed of an individual.

XVIII.   Whether the cause of the individual's death is either suicide or an accident, if it would lead to the death of more than the intended victim, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not impacted.

XIX.   If an individual's name, time of death, and conditions of death are entered in the notebook, the time and conditions of death may be altered as many times as desired as long as they are changed within six minutes and 40 seconds from the time they are filled in. But, of course, this is only possible before the victim dies.

XX.   If you write 'dies of an accident' for the cause of death, the victim will die from a natural accident six minutes and 40 seconds after the time of entry.

XXI.   If you write 'dies from disease' and specify which disease and the time of death, there must be a sufficient amount of time for the disease to progress. If the set time is too tight, the victim will die of a heart attack six minutes and 40 seconds after the entry in the Death Note.
If you write 'dies from disease' as the cause of death but specify only a time of death and not the actual disease, the victim will die from a plausible disease.

XXII.   The Death Note can only operate within a 23-day window (in the human calendar). This is called the 23-Day rule.

XXIII.   If you write 'dies from disease' and specify which disease but not a time of death, if the progression of the disease takes more than 24 days, the 23-Day rule will not take effect, and the human will die at an appropriate time depending on the disease. However, rewriting the cause and/or details of death must be done within six minutes and 40 seconds: you cannot change the victim's time of death, however soon it may be.

XXIV.   The Death Note will not affect those less than 780 days old. 

XXV.   You cannot kill humans who are more than 124 years of age with the Death Note. 

XXVI.   You cannot kill humans with less than 12 minutes of life left (in human calculations). 

XXVII.   You cannot set a death date longer than the victim's original lifespan. Even if the victim's death is entered in the Death Note, if it is beyond his or her original lifespan, the victim will die before the set time. 

To take into consideration

The human who uses this note can go neither to Heaven nor to Hell.

One page taken from the Death Note, or even a fragment of the page, possesses the full power of the note.

Any writing instrument or medium (cosmetics, blood, etc.) may be used as long as it can write directly onto the note and create legible text.

The pages of the Death Note will never run out.

Some limited number of Death Notes have white or red front covers, but this makes no difference in their effectiveness as compared with the black Death Notes.