CHAPTER 28: HORRIBLE PAST

Start from the beginning

Maha walked aimlessly, not knowing were to go anymore, she needed to cool her head. She was still blazing with fury and she felt that just a simple slap isn't enough, she wanted to punched him and beat him black and blue but she restrained herself from doing so, it wouldn't do her any good.
While she was still lost in thought she didn't realize that she now stood in front of Aminu's chamber, she only realized that when people started greeting her. Now she had to get used to this fame as the crown princess, her eyes searched for Ayman and and she finally saw him but he had his back turned to her, her eyes wandered to the man standing beside him and her breath got caught in her throat. He also had his back turned to her and it has been six years since she last saw him but he was someone whom she could recognize even if she just woke up from sleep.

The crowded compound of the palace buzzed with a cacophony of voices, blending into an indistinct hum as Maha navigated through the sea of people. He had his back turned to her, but she could recognize him anywhere. The atmosphere seemed to thicken, and a chill ran down her spine as she approached him. The past, heavy and haunting, lingered in the air.

As she neared, he turned, and their eyes locked in an unsettling dance of recognition. His gaze, cold and calculating, met hers with a devious smile that sent shivers through her being. Time seemed to slow, the weight of the years between them collapsing into this singular moment.

She felt a surge of emotions—fear, anger, and a raw vulnerability that she thought she had buried deep within. The memories of that night, the trauma that had shaped her, surged to the forefront of her mind. But she stood her ground, determined to confront the demons that had haunted her for so long.

His smile widened, revealing a sinister satisfaction that made her blood run cold. The room blurred around them, and as their eyes locked, everything seemed to fade to black. The world collapsed into a void, and the edges of her vision dimmed until all that remained was the haunting memory of his face.

In that moment of disorienting darkness, the shadows seemed to close in on her, wrapping around her like a suffocating cloak. The haunting memories of the past collided with the harsh reality of the present, threatening to overwhelm her senses.

As the world slipped away, a soft murmur reached her ears. Ayman, emerged from the blurred edges of her fading consciousness. His arms enveloped her in a protective embrace, a steady anchor in the tumult of emotions. His voice, a soothing balm, whispered reassurances that everything would be alright.

His words became a lifeline, the last thread connecting her to the waking world. The room's clamor faded, replaced by the gentle cadence of his voice. Yet, despite his comforting presence, the relentless undertow of memories pulled her further into the abyss.

His voice lingered, the warmth of his breath against her ear, the final sensation before the world dissolved into complete darkness. The tendrils of unconsciousness embraced her, and the echoes of his words became distant whispers, leaving her suspended in a silent void.

In that harrowing moment, Ayman's arms encircled Maha's limp form, a stark contrast to the strength he usually felt when holding her. As her body went slack, a chilling realization gripped him—Maha, the woman he vowed to protect, was slipping away, if only momentarily.

His usually composed demeanor shattered, replaced by an unspoken terror etched across his face. The weight of her lifeless body pressed against him, and in that instant, the fear of losing her, like he lost his previous wife, engulfed him. The lines of worry etched deep into his forehead, and his hands, which had once confidently cradled Maha, now trembled under the weight of the unforeseen.

The world around him blurred, the lively surroundings muted by the abrupt descent into an unforeseen nightmare. In that suspended moment, Ayman's heart raced with a raw, unfiltered fear. It was not just witnessing Maha's physical vulnerability that shook him; it was the stark reminder of the fragility of the love he was hesitant to embrace fully.