034. chores

Liam leaves Cordell in the kitchen as Abilene storms in.

"What the hell were you thinking?" She asks Cordell. "Leaving your daughter in jail?" She questions as Stella walks in.

"You bailed her out?" Cordell asks. "I left her there so she would learn the consequences of her actions now that she's an adult."

"She's 18!"

"And she's my daughter. Stella Blue needs a wake up call. Should I remind you of her countless alarming decisions as of late?"

"I am not disagreeing, but did you even bother to listen to her side of it before leaving her in the drunk tank?"

"I didn't leave her in the drunk tank, mama. I had the sergeant separate her. So I guess you didn't bother to listen to my side either, did you?"

"Your side? Unbelievable." Stella remarks.

"Well, believe it. Because I'm not interested in hearing your lies anymore. Or the lies you're feeding to your little sister."

Stella gives him a look of disbelief before walking out.

+++

Janie walks out of the bathroom after finishing getting ready. She walks to her room, but stops when she sees Stella in her room.

"Stelly!" Janie exclaims, rushing into the bedroom.

"Hi." Stella mumbles as Janie hugs her. Stella lightly hugs her back, gently pushing her away after a moment.

"I am so sorry. Are you okay?" Janie asks.

"I'm fine." Stella grumbles.

"Look, I-I promise, I tried to get dad to not leave you in there. I tried telling him it was Augie's party, he didn't listen and he really just wouldn't hear a word I said." Janie says. "I... I tried."

"Thanks." Stella weakly smiles. "August try?"

"No." Janie says.

"Right. I just... I'm gonna take a shower." Stella says.

"Are you mad at me?" Janie asks.

"Nope. No. Not you. You're, uh... probably one of the only people who I know I can rely on." Stella says. "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Kind of okay, actually." Janie says. "I-- I snuck Nutmeg into my room, so I... I think she helped."

"Good." Stella smiles. "That's good."

+++

Janie jogs downstairs as Stella and Abilene break away from a hug.

"Well, it's clear that, uh, these chores need to be done sooner than later. So, I'll-- I'll drop the kids off." Abilene offers Stella.

"Right now I can't promise that my rap sheet won't grow if I'm left alone with August." Stella says.

"That's fair." Abilene says. "August! Get the lead out!" She yells up.

"Mawline." August groans, starting to come down the stairs. "Inside voices, please." He rubs his eyes and he's still in his pajamas.

The sisters share a look with their grandmother.

"Okay, you need to get dressed. Because your father wants you and your sisters to clean up the mess you made at the Side Step." Abilene tells him.

"I, uh, I kind of have to set up for the dance. I'm, like, chair of homecoming committee, and I can't really back down on my word." August says and his sisters and grandmother share another look.