024. downhill

"But last day for letters is next week, so... there's still time." Janie hears her sister say as she walks downstairs.

"Okay. All right, well, I-I wouldn't worry." Cordell says. "You got this, Blue."

"Move." Janie lightly kicks her sister in the arm, the redhead focused on her phone. Stella leans over, allowing her sister to get by.

"Whoa. Put enough make up on?" Stella remarks making everybody look at the blonde.

"It's a smoky eye look. There's nothing wrong with it." Janie says.

"Unless you're my 14 year old daughter." Cordell argues.

"Dad, it's fine. Plenty of girls do it." Janie says.

"That doesn't-- wha-- why? You don't need all that makeup." Cordell says.

"Okay, well, I want it. Just like I have a baseball bat because I want it." Janie says. "I'm headed out."

"Where?" Cordell asks.

"To hang out with some friends." Janie says.

"Do I, uh... do I know these friends?" Cordell asks.

"You know, like, one of my friends." Janie says.

"And is that friend going to be with you today?" Cordell asks.

"No. No, she's not." Janie says. "These are different friends. Ones that don't give me a pity look every time they look at me... like you all are now."

Her grandparents and uncle look away from her.

"Janie Bug..." Cordell tries.

"Bye." Janie heads for the door.

"Hey, be back for dinner!" Cordell calls out.

"Yeah, sure." Janie waves him off, shutting the door behind her.

"I don't think she's making it for dinner." Liam quietly says.

+++

Janie and the small group are hanging out in a food truck area, all having ordered some food.

"All right. And drinks all around." Lucas pulls out a flask. "Any takers?" Almost everybody immediately agrees and he pours some into their drinks. "Janie?"

"Uh... sure." Janie nods and he pours some into her drink. "What is it?" She asks.

"Ah, Russians love it." He says. "Vodka."

"Mm. You know what we should do? Go to the Side Step." Avery says.

"No." Janie denies. "No, my-- my dad and aunt own the Side Step. That's literally asking to get arrested. Or hounded by a million questions."

"Okay, never mind." Avery says.

"We should go see a movie." Julie says.

"Why?" Will scoffs.

"Cause movies are fun. Especially when you're drunk... or high... or it's in 3D... or all of the above." Julie giggles.

Janie takes a sip of her drink, grimacing at the strong flavor.

"Who's driving?" Avery asks, looking between her friends, the group 16.

"Uh... we-- we should Uber." Janie says. "I mean, you're all tipsy, right? It-- it's not safe to drive."

"She's smart. I knew I liked her." Julie grins, ruffling the blonde's hair.

+++

"Guess what I snuck in?" Lucas loudly whispers, the group being the only ones in the theater.

"What?" Julie asks.

Lucas takes out a bottle of vodka from under his jacket.

"How the hell did you sneak that in?" Janie asks.

"It's a gift." Lucas shrugs, opening the bottle. "Ladies first?" Janie hesitates and Julie takes the chance to reach over and grab the bottle.

They all pass it around, Lucas eventually giving it to Janie. The blonde takes it and takes a swig, harshly coughing, Lucas quietly laughing.

"You get used to it." He says.

"Ugh." Janie gags. "Damn." She takes a sip of her soda.

~ ~ ~

The group has split off during the movie, sitting in different rows. Janie and Lucas are sitting in the back row. Janie is paying attention to the movie, but looks down when Lucas' hand lands on her thigh. She watches his hand move between her legs and he slowly starts to go up.

"What are you doing?" She whispers.

"What?" He asks.

"What are you doing?" She repeats.

"Having a little fun." Lucas says. "They won't notice. They're all drunk." He laughs.

"That's not-- I don't--"

"Don't worry. It'll be fun." He whispers, leaning over and nibbling on her ear.

Janie lets him do whatever before she grabs his face and pulls him into a rough kiss. She isn't fully certain she wants it, but she knows she has control of her body.

+++

Janie quietly shuts the front door, holding her heeled boots in hand.

"Where you been?" She jumps at her father's voice.

"Oh. You're home." She smiles.

"Yeah." Cordell nods, an angry look in his eyes. "You missed dinner."

"Right. Sorry. Um... I-I just lost track of time." Janie says.

"It's midnight, Janie." Cordell says.

"Right." She whispers. "I fell asleep watching a movie. That's part of the reason I lost track of time."

"You get a warning this time. Next time, you're grounded. Especially if I find out you're lying." Cordell says.

"Okay." Janie says. "Night."

She goes upstairs, leaving her worried and stressed father behind.

Janie shuts the door to her room. She drops her shoes and sits on the bed. She digs through her purse, pulling out the bottle of vodka.

Janie listens for movement outside of her room, unscrewing the cap when she deems it safe. She takes a drink, wincing at the burning in her throat, quietly coughing.