017. christmas

The three siblings are carrying a Christmas tree into the house, August going too fast for his sisters' liking.

"Ow. Ow. Okay, okay. All right, let's go." August says, trying to move quicker.

"Slow down, Augie. Wait for us." Stella says.

"Yeah, I'm about to face plant into the tree." Janie groans.

"Let's set it down." August says. "Come on. It hurts." He says as Stella shuts the door and they rush to the living room, setting the tree down.

August groans in pain, holding his shoulder.

"All right, is it bad I can't rotate it that way, or, like, hell, any way, anymore?" August asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, no, that's very bad, you idiot." Janie remarks.

"Maybe dad should take you to the doctors." Stella says.

"I agree." Janie says.

"Smart, guys. Then he finds out that we were trespassing at the Davidsons." August says.

"I mean, I don't mind leaving my name out of the story." Janie shrugs.

"I do." August says.

"Look, not if you come up with an alternate cause of injury." Stella says.

"Yeah, because we're all as fluent in lying to dad as you two are? Right." August scoffs.

"You're right. He always somehow knows with you." Stella says.

"It's just me? Really?" August asks.

"It's definitely just you." Janie nods.

"Look, I could use one last night of freedom is all, especially after exams." Stella says as they carry the tree to the designated spot.

"You sure you'll be okay?" Stella asks her brother.

"Yeah, yeah, no, I'm sure." August says. "You know, I've got to play piano tonight. And Faye's gonna be at the Sacred Heart holiday thing, so, you know..."

"One text from a girl, and this guy is willing to risk bodily harm." Stella lightly laughs.

"Okay, whoa, whoa, whoa. One text from a girl?" Cordell asks, walking in with boxes of decorations and an elf hat with elf ears on, Bonham following in behind him. "All right, I heard that, and who is this girl we speak of?"

"Augie's new crush." Stella smiles.

"Ooh. Yeah?" Cordell asks.

"Hey, Lothario, you check that thing for sap before you dragged it in here?" Bonham asks.

"Is that a thing?" August asks.

"Send a boy to do a man's job." Bonham grumbles.

"All right, daddy, pop quiz. You, uh, remember this record?" Cordell asks, putting the record on, music starting to play.

Bonham lightly scoffs.

"Yeah?" Cordell laughs.

"Someone found their Christmas spirit early." Stella says and Cordell shrugs. "Does anyone else hear it skipping?" She asks, referring to the record.

"Please hide that vinyl before mawline has it on repeat until New Years." Bonham says.

"What's up with Bah Humbug Bonham, eh?" August asks, sharing a small laugh with Janie.

"Maybe it's the sap, son." Bonham says. The two teenagers share a look.

"Grinch." Cordell mouths to his daughters while pointing at Bonham making the two girls quietly laugh.

"Cordell, could you go in there and see if you can convince your railroad baron brother if he can go out and rustle up a proper Douglas fir?" Bonham asks. "I don't know what the hell that thing is."

"Yeah, yeah, all right, I'm on it, daddy." Cordell says. "We got this."

+++

Janie is at therapy, it being near the end of the session.

"Okay, well, I'll see you next year." Dr. Green says. "Just... text if you need to talk about something, any negative thoughts or anything."

"Yeah. Yeah, I got it." Janie nods.

"You've made a lot of progress these past few months. I'm proud of you." Dr. Green rests his hand on her back.

"Thanks." She smiles. "So... January 5th, right?"

"January 5th." He nods, his hand trailing down her back until he gently squeezes her hip. "See you then. And don't forget about being able to text or call me for anything."

"Right." She gives a tight lipped smile before leaving.

+++

They're at the Christmas thing the school is putting on and August got done playing carols with some other kids. They go outside, Stella dragging Cordell closer to the tree that they're about to light up.

A truck pulls up and the horn plays "Jingle Bells". Janie quickly recognizes the truck as her grandfather's.

Bonham steps out in a Santa suit.

"Merry Christmas, y'all! Here comes Santa Claus!"

People cheer as the siblings break into laughs.

"Who wants presents? I know y'all do." Bonham says. "But first -- are you ready? Are you ready? Light 'em up!"

The tree lights up and everybody claps and cheers.

"Dad, did you know about this?" Stella asks.

"Did I... did I know about the-- the Salty Santa bit?" Cordell asks. "Yeah, of course. Your granddaddy-- he knew that it was a hard semester, and, uh, you know, he and I wanted to surprise you. And, frankly, I-I wanted to see him in that wig."

"Well, since you're, uh, you're feeling real festive right now, maybe, um, what I want for Christmas is a-a pass." August says, unbuttoning a few buttons on his shirt with his good hand.

"Right now? Really?" Janie whispers to her brother.

Stella shakes her head at her brother.

"You want... you want a-a pass for what?" Cordell asks as August pulls his shirt away to reveal his shoulder.

"I might've fallen through the-- the Davidsons' barn." August says as Cordell inspects his injury.

"Uh... the Davidsons' barn?" Cordell asks.

"Yeah." August sighs out, buttoning his shirt back up a couple times.

"Why did you go to the Davidsons' barn?" Cordell asks.

"Well, I had to see about a girl." August says, lightly smiling. Stella and Janie let out small chuckles as Cordell glances between his three children.

"Right. Yeah. Yeah, yeah. All right." Cordell says. "Yeah, we'll figure it out." He says, bringing the three into his side, Janie squished between him and August.

"Okay, that hurts." August mumbles, holding his shoulder.