"I mean, what does Tatia even have that you don't?" Rebekah continued as if she didn't see your discomfort at the subject. "You're far more beautiful than she is. And you're a far better match for Nik than her. She is just playing both him and Elijah. You'd think Elijah of all people would see it."

"Rebekah, I know you're trying to be a good friend but I don't want to talk about this right now," you sighed.

"Okay, well fine but you should know, said idiot brother is coming this way," she said casually.

"What!" You looked around and sure enough, Niklaus was walking towards you. "How did he know we were here?"

"He asked me," Rebekah said with a smirk. "My brother's an idiot but the fool is in love. You should at least hear him out."

"I'm going to get you back for your meddling," you grumbled.

"Well, you'll owe me a lot of gratitude, so that's fine," she laughed as she walked away from you. "Don't be an idiot, Nik," she said as she passed him.

You stood frozen as he stopped in front of you. "Hi," he said.

"I'm going to kill your sister," you said.

"Don't be mad at her," he said. "I bribed her."

"Of course you did," you rolled your eyes. "I need to get home."

"Y/N, please," he pleaded. "Just listen to me for a moment. You've been avoiding me for weeks."

"I already know what you're going to say," you said. "I don't want or need to hear it."

"I highly doubt you know what I'm going to say," he said.

"What do you—."

He cut you off as he stepped forward and pressed his lips to yours. Your basket fell from your hands in surprise as he wrapped his arms around you, pulling you closer to him. You felt the sparks fly between you, warming every inch of you. He finally pulled away, leaving you both panting for air.

"What—why did you?" You couldn't express the words. You weren't sure there were any words you could say.

"Y/N, I've been in love with you before I even knew what love was," he said. "No one has ever held my heart the way you do. I admit I was infatuated with Tatia, but it was just because I was trying to stop thinking of you day and night. I wanted to try to stop this incessant beating in my heart every time I saw you because I thought you'd never return my feelings."

You stared at him in shock. He loved you? All this time, you had thought you'd been alone in your feelings. You had worried about ruining your friendship when you knew he didn't feel the same, and yet, here he was, telling you he did. You felt such joy, you knew there were no words to describe it.

"Nik," you put your hand on his cheek. "I've always loved you too."

He smirked at you. "Well, of course you did. I'm wonderful."

You pushed him lightly, laughing. "Never mind, I take it back."

• • •

"Mother, we wish to marry," Niklaus said, holding your hand. He had wasted no time rushing you back to his home to tell them the news. He wanted forever with you, he said. You were happy to oblige. Forever didn't seem long enough to have loving him. You'd never thought he'd feel the same, and yet the warmth of his hand against yours was a reminder of how much time you'd both foolishly wasted.

"Finally," Esther said with a smile, putting down the herbs she had been storing.

"Yes!" Rebekah jumped up. "Finally you stopped being an idiot! See, told you you'd owe me one, Y/N."