Ten

The pressure was intense. Pressure of having baby before Devansh's grandparents leave this world. Pressure of leaving one superstitious family and entering another superstitious family. Pressure that Devansh might change after marriage. Rishika felt like she was gradually becoming a pressure cooker. The taunts were becoming frequent. Devansh's anger issues were now surfacing. It was their engagement ceremony. Rings were already exchanged. And yet she was having second thoughts. Maybe she shouldn't have said yes. But now it was too late.

Ah, marriage is so scary. She just hoped some miracle happens and the pressure just dissappears from her life.

Oh, she was thinking about pressure and she saw her mother-in-law. She scares her the most. Her taunts are like slaps. They even haunt her in her sleep. Earlier, her dreams used to be romantic. She'd be imagining her happy life with Devansh. Now her dreams are replaced by horrors of married life.

“Hey, bro.” Her trail of thoughts was broken by a very familiar voice. It was Hiya, a friend she never asked for. Rishika till date was not sure if Hiya was her friend or enemy. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

“Hiya, you are so late. The ceremony is about to be over. You even missed my dance performance.” Rishika complained to her.

“Oh, I saw a stall of Gol Gappe on the way so I just stopped to eat some. And I can imagine how you would have danced in this twenty kilos of heavy lehenga.” Hiya being Hiya didn't shy away from sounding stupid.

“It's actually weighs twenty-five kilos.”  That made Hiya freeze at her place.

“Oh, my goodness. I feel grateful that I'm not you.” She laughed awkwardly.

“Yeah, I also feel grateful that I don't have your sharp tongue or I'll be getting killed at a young age too.”  Rishika rolled her eyes at her.

“Getting killed at a young age? Bro, I'm still alive.” Hiya chuckled.

“But not for too long, I bet.”  Now it seemed as if Rishika was giving Hiya a death threat through her words.

“Aww, you are getting mean. How cute!” But Hiya didn't let it bother her.

“Why don't you meet my fiance Devansh? I'm afraid I'll end up doing something if you stayed closer to me any longer.” 

“Oops, you love me so much, darling. It might kill me some day.”

“I bet, it will.”

“Alright, I'll meet Jiju then.” Saying so Hiya left from there.

✿ ✿ ✿

“Hey, bro.” Devansh heard a very familiar voice. It was Karan, the cousin he never asked for. They just never got along.

“I didn't expect you to be here.” Devansh expressed his surprise.

“I didn't want to. But I was forced to come.” Karan replied in a monotone.

“Still I'm glad you came.” Devansh smiled.

“Don't lie, Devansh. I hate you, you hate me and it's totally fine.”

“I... I don't hate you. I just dislike you.”  Devansh added thoughtfully.

“Oops... but I do hate you.” Karan smiled (like a jerk).

Devansh was about to say something but Hiya came to where they were standing.

“Hey, Devansh Jiju, I'm Hiya. Rishika's friend. ” Hiya could feel the tension between the guys. It was evident in their posture and expressions.

“Umm... Hey, nice to meet you, Hiya.” Devansh smiled.

Her eyes for a moment landed on Karan. Something seemed very off about him.

“You know what, Devansh, I'm a psychology student and I occasionally write as well. When Rishika told me about her and your relationship, I felt like I should write it as a story.”

“Oh, really? I would love to read it.” Devansh told her a little excitedly.

“Ah, but I threw it away.” Hiya grimaced.

“Why?” He frowned.

Hiya gestured him to come closer and then whispered into his ear, “Because I realised that you are an asshole.”

But Karan heard it and he couldn't help the chuckle that escaped his lips. Devansh glared at Hiya who smiled as if nothing happened.

“Okay, I'll take my leave.” She waved a goodbye and left.

“Did she just insult me?” Devansh mumbled to no one specifically.

“No, she just stated a fact.”  Karan commented nonchalantly. Amusement was dancing on his features.

“You know what, I actually hate you.”  He glared at his not so beloved cousin. But Karan could care less.

•••

Thoughts on Hiya and Karan? They happened accidentally.