Eight

It happened two months after Rishika's visit to Bangalore. Rishika returned to hostel from college while controlling her tears. Seeing a missed call from Devansh, she called him. The conversation began normally but then maybe it was her voice that made her sadness obvious but Devansh understood that something happened with her.

“Rishika, did something happen?”

“Umm... No.”

“Then why do you seem so sad?”

“Actually... something happened at the college fest.”

“What happened?”

“We were told to wear traditional outfits so I was wearing a saree. When all of us were dancing, a senior touched my waist. And later, when I went to washroom, that guy again eve teased me.”

“Did you slap him?” He asked, getting angry after hearing that.

“No, I didn't.”

“Some guy eve teased you and you kept quiet? Why you didn't take stand for yourself? Stop being so weak, Rishika.” He scolded her.

Rishika's eyes filled with tears hearing him say that, “Dev, I'm sharing my pain with you and here you are scolding me for being weak.”

Devansh instantly went pale hearing her cry, “Ah, okay, please don't cry. But, Rishu, try to understand. I can't be there every time to defend you. You should stand up for yourself in these situations.”

“That's how I am. I was never taught to stand up and I no more have the will to stand up. It's better if I keep quiet and ignore.” She told him while crying.

“Please don't cry, Rishu. Acha, tell me how was your day minus what that asshole did.”

“It was nice...”

They talked about random topics after that.

✿ ✿ ✿

It happened some weeks after Devansh came back from Bangalore.

There are times when you do something thinking it will be fun. But when the consequences happen, you realise that it wasn't fun, it was a stupidity. Something similar happened with Rishika.

Devansh had told her that he will call her around nine in the morning. And he did call her. But Rishika didn't pick his numerous calls thinking it will be nice way to tease him.

When she finally picked his call, he told her that they will meet in the evening.

When the evening came, he picked her. The car was on the highway when he asked her, “Why didn't you pick my calls?”

“Umm... I forgot.”

He grabbed her forearms and pulled her closer, “I had told you pick my call at nine. You aren't a little girl to be reminded for small things.”

Rishika was shocked. She didn't know he will get so angry on her for not picking his calls. Her eyes watered on their own seeing him react like that. She began crying.

Something stirred inside him seeing her cry so hard. Devansh let go of her arms and pulled her in for a hug.

“I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have reacted like that.” He consoled her while focusing on driving simultaneously.

✿ ✿ ✿

That day Rishika was present at Devansh's house. Her mother in law had told her to take coffee to Devansh's bedroom. So Rishika took the cup of coffee and went to Devansh's room where he was doing some really important paperwork.

“Here's your coffee, Dev.” Rishika entered his bedroom.

Devansh glanced at her for a second and then went back to focus on his laptop. She walked to his table. She was handing him the cup of coffee but Devansh didn't hold it on time and the coffee fell down on his documents and laptop.

Rishika gasped at what just happened and Devansh was furious that his important paperwork was now ruined. He was so furious that he stood up from his chair and was about to raise his hand on her. But then suddenly he remembered that he was about to do exactly what he had promised himself to never do. His hand stopped inches for touching her face. But the damage was already done. Rishika was in shock. She was about to get slapped by her fiance. She shook her head in disbelief and was about to run away from him. But Devansh held her wrist and pulled her back, engulfing her in a hug. She was shaking her head and hands constantly from the shock. It took some time to calm her down.

✿ ✿ ✿

One day when Rishika was sitting at home, Devansh called her and asked her to design their initials. She asked him the reason but he didn't tell her anything. She sent him the design. But later he didn't reply or picked her calls. Rishika found it suspicious.

It was a Friday night when Devansh called her.

“We are going to spent Saturday and Sunday together. So be ready.” He told her.

“What will I say at home?” She asked.

“I don't know about that. But we are spending the weekend together. That's it.” And he cut the call.

Rishika lied at home that she had to do some group project with her friends. That day was spent roaming around the city together. They went to Jantar Mantar to have some alone time. Then they had momos.

When the night fell, Rishika said, “Okay, now we'll meet tomorrow. Bye.”

But Devansh stopped her, “You aren't going anywhere. We have a hotel booking.”

Rishika could only imagine what was going to happen next.