Two

There is something magical about innocence. One moment that person is a stranger to you and the next moment you will have this urge to protect them. He felt the same when he saw her.

When his mother had shown him her picture, he could imagine his entire future with her. A happily ever after.

And when he met her at her house, the real magic happened. She looked like a Hoor in that lavender dress. A Hoor God had sent on the earth only for him.

It sounds so cliché. But maybe that's how you feel when there's a possibility that you may spend your entire life with this stranger who suddenly does not feel like a stranger anymore.

✿ ✿ ✿

She said yes to the proposal and was rethinking those pros and cons while lying on her bed. It was around eleven at night when her phone pinged. There was a message on Whatsapp from an unknown number.

- Hi, remember me?

Rishika frowned, “Who is this person texting me so late?” But then she clicked on the profile picture and realized that it's Devansh.

“Oh, it's him! I got scared, yaar.” She replied to his text.

Rishika- Hey! Sure, I do.

Devansh- Maa told you said yes. Are you comfortable? I mean, did anyone force you to say yes?

Rishika- No, no, it was my decision to say yes.

Devansh- Okay, so you like me, right!

Rishika- Umm...

Devansh- Alright, I won't make you uncomfortable.

Rishika- Hmm.

Devansh- Are you sleepy?

Rishika- No, I'm not.

Devansh- Shall we talk?

Rishika- Where? On text?

Devansh- Yeah, if you are comfortable.

Rishika- Okay.

They started chatting about how their day went and what they like to do in their leisure time. Time flew like a bird and it was past midnight when they put their phones down and tried to fall asleep. But their excitement didn't let them sleep peacefully that night.

✿ ✿ ✿

The chatting went on for a week. One evening they were texting each other when Devansh accidentally ended up clicking on the call button. Rishika's eyes widened in shock and nervousness.

“Why is he calling me?”

Before Devansh could cut the call, she had already pressed the green icon and now he could hear her deep breaths on the line. They didn't speak for long moments. Again, Devansh tried striking the conversation and asked, “Did you eat your dinner?”

“Yeah, and you?” She asked him the same, still nervous to talk to him.

“I had to eat Bhindi for dinner and Bhindi is my worst enemy.” He said it quite comically in an attempt to make her comfortable.

Rishika gasped because she couldn't hear anyone criticize her favorite vegetable, “Haw! Bhindi is my favorite, Dev-” She was about to call him by his name but then thought she shouldn't take her future husband's name.

“Arrey! At least say my full name.” He teased her. She didn't say anything and he understood she must be blushing. So he quickly switched to video call. Her cheeks were burning when she picked the video call. But he enjoyed seeing her red face. They started talking about random things.

“Tomorrow I'm performing in the college fest. Should I show you my dress?” She asked and he agreed.

She showed him the dress she was going to wear for her semi classical Kathak dance. It was a white Anarkali dress with deep sweetheart neckline and a mesh of dori at the back. But he was more interested in looking at her blushed face and shining eyes.

✿ ✿ ✿

The next day, Rishika was a nervous wreck. In the morning, Devansh had called and told her to not worry. But she was afraid if she slipped on the stage or forgot her dance steps. She was wearing that white Anarkali dress and pacing around the backstage to calm herself. Soon it was her turn and she went to the stage. She took a deep breath and took her position. O Rangrez played in the background and she started her performance. But Rishika almost got a mini heart attack when out of nowhere Devansh appeared in the audience. He was standing just behind the chief guest's seat and they could see each other clearly. He was smiling so hard that she feared his jaw will start hurting. But that smile described his happiness. Because in that moment he realized that he was maybe falling for her. The look of admiration on his face was priceless. She kept looking into his eyes and continued dancing. Her nervousness flew out of the window and happiness embraced her senses. Soon her performance ended and she was relieved that the performance went quite well.

Later, Devansh was standing outside the college and waiting for her. As soon as Rishika stepped out and saw him, she shouted loudly, “Dev!”

Dev turned around to see her running towards him. She hugged him so tight that he stumbled by the intensity of the hug. He reciprocated the hug back with the same energy and her feet were dangling in the air the very next moment. And then he kissed her head.

Aah, their first hug and first forehead kiss. She didn't slip earlier on the stage but then, at that moment, her heart surely slipped out.