» Chapter 21 «

C H A P T E R 2 1

C H A P T E R 2 1

The last few days had felt surreal to Baji.

One moment he was enjoying a festival with his Guardian Angel. The next he was fighting a rival gang. And the next he was at the hospital's doors waiting for news on his friend's health – since he had been stabbed in said fight.

But then everything calmed down.

Draken was alive – still recovering and a little in pain – but recovering, nevertheless. Baji made it his mission to visit his friend every chance he got. Some days he would take you with him and you would sit in the room with him, as he talked with his friend, and you entertained yourself by looking out of the window, or if you didn't stay with him, you would walk around the hospital trying to see if you could heal anyone without messing with their fate. Other times he would go alone, and to help pass the time he would take some books with him – Draken, of course, would tease the living hell out of him, but the only thing he could do was to tell the guy to fuck off, because no way was he going to ever admit that you were forcing him to catch up on his studies so that he didn't miss another year. And when Draken got out of the hospital, Baji still stayed in the routine to visit his friend, not as often as he would in the hospital, but at least once a week.

Everything seemed to go back to normal.

But that was furthest from the truth.

Back when Pah stabbed Osanai, Baji happened to stumble upon a conversation between Kisaki and Mikey, where he heard the former promise the latter to get their friend out of prison if Mikey made him the third division's captain. From the start, that whole meeting had put a sour taste in his mouth and red alarms started sounding in his mind, all of them alerting him to the same – Kisaki was bad news.

Now the question was should he tell the other? Tell Mikey? Tell you?

The more he thought about it, the clearer the answer became.

He had to put a stop to Kisaki's plans alone.

If what he was planning was to become a reality, he had to become someone the other wouldn't recognize. He knew he was no saint; he knew there were some lines he had already crossed throughout his years as a delinquent, but there were some where even he didn't dream of coming closer. But maybe it was time for him to do so. He had to betray his friends, their trust, and his loyalty to them. He had to cut them off.

He had to cut you off.

And that's what he did. He started distancing himself from his friends, declining their calls, ignoring Chifuyu's and your attempts to hang out – even going as far as to ignore you in your cat form, getting questioning looks from his mother –, missing the small gatherings Mikey tried to have with his captains, starting fights with his gang members, all of it.

At first, it was hard, God knows how hard it was. Especially when it came to pushing you away. Seeing the hurt in your eyes every time he pushed you away and dismissed your worries, or when he denied your offers to heal his bruising knuckles, screamed at you to leave him alone, or turned his back on you; the list was so long that he was sure that for as long as he was alive, he would never be able to atone for his sins against you. It hurt so damn much.