ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

"So what's the rush?" you asked as you seated yourself on the dining table beside Tatsumi. "All of you seem to be in a hurry."

"We've all got jobs, unlike you," Mine sassed. "You're just a freeloader."

"Be nice, Mine," Leone rebuked the pink-haired girl, who just returned a scowl. "We've all got different jobs to do, (F/N). Akame and Tatsumi are on kitchen supplies collection today, Lubbock and I are going into the Capital to sniff out some leads on our next case, and Boss, Bulat and Sheele will be going towards the Empire's border to relay some important information for the Revolutionary Army."

You raised an eyebrow. "Wait, that means —"

"You'll be in the base today," Najenda replied. "With Mine."

Both of you turned around to look incredulously at Najenda.

"Woah, woah woah!" Mine screamed. Her sassy attitude had taken a complete 180.  "I'll come along with you to the Revolutionary Army's side, Boss! Heck, I'll go shopping with Tatsumi and Akame! But I cannot stay with...... with that !"

She pointed at you with disdain, and you raised the middle finger at her.

Najenda only chuckled. "I'm sorry, Mine. But you've got to suck it up. I need someone to stay with (F/N) while we're gone."

"Oh god......" Mine muttered, and she shot you a nasty look. "You're one annoying prick, you know that?"

"Right back at you, idiot."

You and Mine bickered to no fruition. The rest of the team could only audibly facepalm at the two of you.

[ ----- ----- ----- ]

The birds chirped in the bright, blue skies, and you stared up at the clouds with disinterest. A chilly wind blew in from the north, and your teeth chattered noisily.

It had been about an hour since everyone had left the base to their respective stations. Only you and Mine were inside, and Mine was tasked with keeping an eye on you. Even though both of you hated each other's guts, Mine knew that she'd be in deep trouble if you were to somehow escape from the base.

So she was a few meters away from you, absentmindedly polishing her nails with a filer. She would shoot a furtive glance towards you every few seconds, which would go unnoticed by you.

No words were exchanged. Just the sounds of nature filled the air, and you breathed in relief.

As long as you didn't initiate conversation with her, you'd be fine.

You closed your eyes, and let yourself be immersed in nature.

Suddenly, a loud thud echoed through the forests to your left. You woke up immediately, and stared off into that direction. You looked back at Mine.

The pink-haired girl was already in position, her Teigu Pumpkin mounted on the ground, and her scope was worn over her eye. Quietly, and with immense concentration, Mine aimed at the general direction of the noise.

No movement was detected from the shrubs. You slowly backed away, and you crouched down next to Mine.

"Probably just a rabbit....." Mine replied slowly, and she quietly folded Pumpkin back into its dormant state. "You get a few of those around here these days."

"I see....." you replied unsurely. "That was quite a quick reaction. I didn't know you had it in you."

"Oh please. I'm much more experienced than you in combat," Mine said hotly. "I don't even know how you're alive. You've got the combat experience of a nine-year old."