Chapter 10 - Moon 7

Start from the beginning

"Now, Ivypaw, give it a try," Blackstripe encouraged, his eyes warm with patience.

Ivypaw took a deep breath, mimicking the crouch she had just witnessed. She felt a bit awkward at first, but with Blackstripe's guidance and encouraging nods, she began to get the hang of it.

Snowpaw joined in, her movements graceful as she adapted quickly. The clearing echoed with laughter as they stumbled and fumbled through the practice, the tension of the morning gradually giving way to companionship. Ivypaw felt the borders she had around her heat crumble. Snowpaw was still Snowpaw, but instead of hissing when dirt touched her fur she swiped dirt back at Ivypaw playfully.

As the sun arched overhead, casting dappled shadows across the forest floor, Blackstripe suggested they try their luck with actual prey. The mentors and apprentices ventured deeper into the woods, excitement bubbling in Ivypaw's chest.

Snowpaw, once again by her side, whispered, "I'm really sorry about everything, Ivypaw."

Ivypaw smiled, appreciating the sincerity in her sister's words. "You'll just have to make it up to me," she meowed playfully.

Snowpaw rolled her eyes, "I'm the one who fell into the river for you."

"If we're playing that game, I-"

"Were supposed to be HUNTING, not talking," Pebbleclaw said. Ivypaw caught the eye of Blackstripe, who gave her a knowing smile.

"Sorry Pebbleclaw!" Snowpaw replied, eager to please her mentor.

Ivypaw and Snowpaw followed them, a comfortable silence between the sisters. Ivypaw glanced at her sister, who glanced back. Snowpaw's eyes turned mischievous, and she cocked her head as if to ask Contest?

Ivypaw grinned back, giving her a small nod.

○○○

"Did you really catch that?" Winterpaw's voice held a skeptical tone.

Ivypaw and Snowpaw set down their rabbits, Ivypaw looking proud. "Of course I did!"

Winterpaw turned to Snowpaw, "Did she really catch that?"

Snowpaw nodded shyly in response.

"See, I told you," Ivypaw meowed, "why did you immediately trust that Snowpaw caught hers but I didn't catch mine?"

"I know for sure that you're a bad hunter, but Snowpaw could be a good one," Winterpaw answered briefly, before sliding Ivypaw's rabbit over to himself and taking a bite.

Snowpaw puffed up, and Ivypaw took a second to appreciate Winterpaw. He hadn't questioned that Snowpaw was their friend now, and knew just what to say to make Snowpaw feel more comfortable. He's smarter than cats give him credit for, Ivypaw thought.

"Hey, Ivypaw!" Ivypaw's heart jumped then sank. Birchpaw.

She turned, putting on a fake smile, "Hi Birchpaw!" when she saw him her fake smile was suddenly no longer fake. His green eyes looked a little confused, and his long tail swayed back and forth. Ivypaw felt her ears turn pink.

"Ivypaw, what..." he motioned toward Snowpaw, looking puzzled.

Ivypaw blinked away her thoughts, turning to to her sister. Snowpaw looked embarrassedly down at her paws. "What? She's... we're good now." Ivypaw meowed.

Birchpaw approached her, lowering his voice, "Are we just supposed to forget that she bullied you?"

Ivypaw leaned closer involuntarily, "I forgave her. It's okay."

"No, it's not okay," Birchpaw said, surprising Ivypaw with the genuine anger in his tone. Angry for Ivypaw? Did he... no. "I can't just let that go."

Ivypaw straightened, turning to apologize to her sister. To her surprise, Snowpaw was gone.