"Well, it can't be more boring than sitting here doing nothing.". The Italian chuckled and beckoned him to follow her in the storage room where they brought medicines and medical supplies. Jack had to stop to answer the phone few times and then they decided to have lunch in the beanery, together. The rest of the team was working on the collapse of a building in the center of Seattle and they wouldn't have come back soon for sure.

"So, how is Beckett behaving?" Carina asked. Jack scoffed.

"Well, you saw yourself. He keeps acting like shit, especially towards Maya. He just can't kick her out of the station because he knew we would riot and with me still being injured he needs her, but I'm sure he hates it."

"Che stronzo." the doctor commented, while eating some of her lunch.

"I don't know what you've just said, but I'm sure it wasn't anything nice.". Carina grinned and shook her head, then kept eating her lunch. "Anyway, are you okay? I mean, you've looked so off lately. Is everything fine with Maya?". The doctor jolted, completely caught off guard by that question. "Carina, you know you can trust me. I care about you and Maya and after all you two went through..."

"We're fine, Jack." the Italian reassured her friend. "I just... I lost a girl last week, okay?"

"I'm sorry, Carina. Really, if you need to..."

"No, non in quel senso!" the doctor hurried to clarify herself. "That's not what I meant. I literally lost a girl. She ran away. Well, she stole my wallet before, but..."

"She what?" Jack asked, confused.

"The point isn't even that." Carina kept explaining. "I can't stop worrying. I saw some bruises on her arms and I...Something was wrong, Jack.". The firefighter softened his gaze and reached out. He caressed her hand, to comfort her. He didn't say anything though, aware of the fact that it would have been useless.

"Well, time to go back to work. I want to go home as soon as possible so I can rest but I have to finish sorting those meds before.". The firefighter nodded and helped her clear the table, then the two went back to check and sort the medical supplies for the clinic. In the meanwhile, Jack contacted her mates, to understand how they were doing. They still had a lot of work to do and they wouldn't have been back soon.

"They're fine, Carina. Maya is fine." he told the doctor, sensing she was concerned about her wife. The Italian thanked him with her eyes and kept working. They finally finished sorting everything and headed to the beanery, to drink and eat something. A sudden noise, however, forced them to stop. They glanced at each other, then rushed back to the storage room. In front of them there was a girl with black hair and blue eyes, gripping the doorknob as her life depended on it.

"Hey, are you okay? Are you hurt?" Jack asked her, gaining no answer. The girl looked paralyzed, her eyes full of anxiety. Jack turned around and found Carina utterly frozen, staring at the teen.

"Hey, are you okay?" he questioned, now decisively worried.

"Yeah." Carina responded. "I think I've just found my wallet.".

________________

Maya and Vic were heading to the exit of the hospital, when they met Bailey and Meredith.

"Bishop! Hughes!" Miranda greeted the two firefighters. "How are you doing?"

"Fine, thanks." Maya answered. "We are leaving, we have to go back to work."

"You come from that building in the city center, don't you?" Meredith questioned.

"Yeah, the situation is serious." Vic explained. "But it was nice seeing you.". Maya gestured her friend to go to the ambulance and wait a moment for her to join her.