twenty-four

Theo was already in the Astronomy tower when I entered, elbows on the railing as he looked out at the stars and smoked a cigarette

Theo was already in the Astronomy tower when I entered, elbows on the railing as he looked out at the stars and smoked a cigarette. He didn't turn around but I could tell he knew I was here by the flinch in his back muscles. I didn't say a word as I sidled up beside him and rested my own arms on the railing.

"Cigarette?" He murmured, offering me a puff of his cigarette as he held it between us. Slowly, I turned my head and took a long drag of the smoke as I stared up at him the entire time. A smile pulled at one corner of his mouth and he ran his free hand through his hair. "Fuck, Lucy. It should be illegal to look the way you do while you smoke." A surprised laugh left my mouth.

"I'm not doing anything," I said and he graced me with his own chuckle. It was music to my ears and I felt momentarily dizzy as I associated that sound with the boy I'd known my entire life before I sobered, my smile dropping as I remembered the words Mattheo had said in detention. Loving him won't be enough to save him.

"Where'd that smile go?" Theo asked, reaching out and brushing his thumb over my bottom lip. "Stay out of that pretty little head of yours for another few minutes, okay?" I tried to drag myself out of my thoughts and forced a smile at Theo, who only narrowed his eyes. He might have been gone for two years, but he'd known me my entire life. He knew when I was faking it.

"Alright, then," He sighed, stubbing out the cigarette butt and throwing it over the edge where I watched it disintegrate midair from a spell Theo must have cast. "Fess up. Where's that brain of yours gone right now?" He leaned his side on the railing as he turned to face me completely and I mirrored his pose. We weren't touching, but he was close enough that I could feel the heat radiating from his skin.

"I had detention with Mattheo tonight," I admitted and Theo's amused face dropped into a frown as he waited for me to continue. "He said something that... hurt me, and I'm not used to feeling hurt like that." That was the truth. When Theo had disappeared, I had experienced a completely different kind of pain. This was the total opposite. Before, I had felt abandoned – now he was right in front of me and I didn't know how to save him from the fate that awaited him. Theo searched my face for some time with pursed lips before he spoke.

"What did he say to you?" He asked carefully, as if he already had an idea of what the answer was going to be.

"Theo," I sighed. "I'm supposed to be telling you about my trauma right now." His lips thinned even further as he pressed them together tighter.

"So tell me what Matt said to you, sweetheart," He said. "It's obviously upset you. You can be honest with me, Luce. I know I've done bad things... but I'm still me. I'm still the guy you grew up with." Without my consent, tears flooded my eyes and my bottom lip quivered. With an annoyed huff, I blinked the tears back and bit my lip hard.

"Lucy..." Theo said carefully and when I looked at him, his jade eyes were wide and sad. A different sad than they had been earlier, this sadness was all for me. I was about to come clean about what Mattheo had said to me but then I thought about how distraught Theo had been earlier when he sobbed against me, telling me over and over again that he didn't want what had happened to him. That he'd endured countless pain to say no and had still ended up without a choice in the end, anyway.