nine

If I'd hoped my day would get better after I was paired with Mattheo Riddle first thing in the morning, then I was absolutely fucking mistaken

If I'd hoped my day would get better after I was paired with Mattheo Riddle first thing in the morning, then I was absolutely fucking mistaken. I cursed at the Gods of Karma, asking them what the hell I had done to deserve any of what was being thrown at me on the first day of school.

Professor Sprout had been telling the truth when she'd said everyone would be partnered at the teacher's discretion for any group work. By third period, after I'd been paired with Seamus Finnigan in Charms and a Ravenclaw I swear I'd never seen in my entire life in Transfiguration I'd figured the system was totally bullshit.

Neville Longbottom had been paired with Cho Chang in Herbology before being paired with his little girlfriend, Luna Lovegood, in Charms. What really made me realise the system was a farce was when Professor McGonagall said there was an uneven number of students in the class so the Golden Trio would work together for the assignment. I wasn't the only Slytherin in the room who was glaring and whispering unforgivable curses in the safety of our minds.

But when it came time for my last class of the day, Potions, was the icing on the fucking cake. Slughorn had read out the pairs and surprise sur-fucking-prise, Lucinda Fontaine was partnered up with no other than Theodore Nott. I glared at him as he sat down beside me with a wide smirk on his face that made me want to punch him.

"Hey, sweetheart," He said. "I knew you couldn't stay away for long." The wink he gave me made my stomach both curdle and tighten.

"Don't flatter yourself, Nott," I snorted. "Bad luck has been following me around all day." I tried to focus on what Slughorn was saying about the correct wand movements to charm the fire immunity potion we would be brewing today. I couldn't wait to mess it up and then set Theo on fire.

"Ooh, what are you thinking about?" He asked, moving his chair closer to mine until our thighs pressed together. I moved away but he only followed. "You're looking all turned on. You must be thinking about me naked." I couldn't help the sharp laugh that left my mouth at his words, slamming my hands over my lips for a moment before I decided I hadn't been caught laughing in the middle of a lecture. I turned to Theo, smiling sweetly.

"I'm actually thinking about setting you on fire," I said and his smirk only grew.

"Kinky."

"Stop it, Theo," I told him.

"Stop what?" He asked innocently. I glared at him.

"Stop trying to flirt with me like you want to fuck me again," I snarled. "It was a one time thing, just a stupid lapse in judgement." His eyes narrowed before he pressed his lips together in a thin line.

"Technically, it wasn't just a one time thing, sweetheart," He said and I froze. "We've had sex more than once." My ears were ringing and I couldn't focus on anything for long moments. How could he– How dare he say that? My eyes blurred as I tried to focus on the class but I clenched them shut as I willed the tears to go away and bother someone else. I dug my fingers so hard into my palms that I could feel the skin split. I focused on my breathing for several more moments before I opened my eyes and glared at him.

"And you call me selfish, Theo," I said. He looked me over and I couldn't tell if he felt bad for bringing up our past or wanted to rub it in further.

"Guess we're two sides of the same cloth then, right, Lucy?" The way he said my nickname felt like a fucking weapon.

"You're a fucking asshole, Theo," I said, my raised voice drawing the attention of several nearby tables. I noticed the attention and schooled my face into that familiar mask as I pushed my chair back and gathered my things. I wouldn't sit beside Theodore Nott for a second longer.

"Takes one to know one, sweetheart," He said and my breath caught in my throat for a moment too long. I could be selfish, I knew that, it was a flaw I knew one day I would completely eradicate. I'd hurt Theo when I'd told him the only thing I'd never gotten my way with was him. But this felt like a step too far, bringing up then.

I hadn't meant to fall in love with him, it had just kind of happened. But then he was telling me he loved me to and one thing led to another and then he'd disappeared without a fucking word. Days after he'd taken my virginity by the dazzling lake at Nott Manor.

Anger bubbled in every part of me, making me feel bigger than I was as I stood before him with the entire class's attention. I didn't care that Draco was in the back corner watching or people I'd never even spoken to were witnessing my mental breakdown as I glared at Theo.

"Bombarda," I whispered, and the spot in front of Theo's face and hands exploded. He was ricocheted off his seat and across the room, making contact with a wall of glass pitchers before collapsing to the ground. I smirked and in the corner of my eye, I saw Draco rise from his seat with an open mouth but I was already heading for the door.

"Miss Fontaine!" Slughorn called behind me. "That's detention for a week!